A question about mold:(

Page 2 of 2  


It is my understanding that DIY removal of mold is not too bad *IF* it is short term growth and the mycelium has not had a chance to migrate deep into the porous materials. If mold growth is long term it is REALLY entrenched. You can kill the topical stuff, remove it, and feel good for short while. Then, the slightest bit of dampness and the stuff sprouts from all the parts left in the porous material.
If you want a comparison, look at mold that groes on cheese left too long in the fridge. Short term growth, cut off affected areas and eat [the good that's left, not what you cut off]. But long term growth, that mold has ruined the cheese deep down into it. Or if you've every battled mod on bread, you'll see the same traits.
With that in mind, personally I would tell your friend to walk away, nay RUN away. Especially after watching on one of our local channels the horror story of a very successfully house 'flip'er. He bought a house from a bank where the disgruntled previous owner had left the water on in an upstairs bathroom to overflow when he was foreclosed on and evicted. The mold only had a short time to grow, but this entrepreneur's final cost to even get up to the ability to sell the house was almost equal to the distressed price of the house to begin with! Let alone, I wouldn't want to live there after that much mold infestation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Fill a sprayer bottle with bleach and spray it down.... It will kill the mold and it will disappear, or, you can rinse it down with a hose....
Mold is not necessarily bad. It depends on the particular strain, which numbers in the thousands. 99.99% are absolutely harmless.
Unfortunately, it ia a "hot" button for home buyers. It needs to disappear. Bleach kill all mold.... if it is surface mold where the bleach can touch it. If it is behind the walls, as in sheet rock in a shower, there is another problem...
However, if you have ever driven thryoug London, you will see it everywhere, and they aren't dying like flies... so don't worry...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.