A Noisy Whirlpool in Window A/C

It' got into the 90s today here, and I decided to turn on my Whirlpool a/c, model acq062mm, and enjoy it in one room. It was doing fine pushing out cold air, but the fan kept getting louder. The sound is definitely connected to the rotation of the fan. I finally stopped it and looked for the owner's manual. It was really of no use. Any ideas? It was working quite well at the end of last summer. Since a foot or more hangs out the window, maybe something got into the fan area.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Motor needs oil?

Reply to
Big Bob

I got a free A/C for an elderly friend a few years ago that had a very noisy fan. I took the fan moror apart, took out the bearings, and replaced them for about $15 at a bearing shop. It's still working great.

Take off the case and look if you think something might be rubbing on the fan. It should only be a few screws.

Reply to
Bob F

Rumor is that low refrigerant charge can cause ice formation. That could change the sound of the fan and the performance of the A/C.

It'd be interesting if the fan reverts to 'quiet mode' tomorrow morning and gets louder as the day progresses.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

W, 2700 feet

What does it sound like, does it sound like water splashing, old units drained the pan, newer units keep the pan full and are do sound different when the fan fills and water is being used to help the cooling process, or is it a bearing noise, or kina klunky like the neighbors cat died and is stuck in there.

Reply to
ransley

While all the others are possibilities- I'll go with Occam's Razor. If you can get air, or a powerful stream of water back to it, try cleaning the fan blades. The last few window bangers I've bought are designed to keep a puddle in the AC that the fan dips into. Great place for mold to grow, attach to the fan & throw it off balance.

You could narrow the possibilities, perhaps, by trying to describe the noise. Is it fan noise, bearing noise, a bang on start-up, or a rattling sound?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It's 4:45 am here with a temp of 67F outside. I started it. It puts out cold air immediately, and the noise. The noise sounds like that produced by a bicycle with a piece of stiff cardboard inserted into a spoked wheel. It's the sort of noise kids used to do with bicycles to make them sound like a motorcycle or a motor. Turn it off and it sounds like such a bicycle slowing down. There's got to be something stuck in the fan. Later this morning, when I can get some help pulling the a/c out of the window, I'll examine it by opening it up.

Reply to
W. eWatson

Most likely the fan blade is hitting the fan shroud.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It could be a label or tag that has come loose. A piece of paper, a loose wire or even a twig can do the same thing. ST mentioned that a part of the plastic shroud around the fan could be the culprit. If it's a wire, fix it fast or the unit will quit working.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I decided to remove the top cover portion sticking out the window. One screw on each side of the cover near the outside wall prevented that. I enlisted the aid of my wife. I gave her the "easy" part. Stand inside the room, and I'd shove the unit into the room 6", and she could unloosen the two screws. As soon as I pushed that activated an unseen wasp nest under the unit and partly in the window frame. She suddenly was dealing with about 10 wasps. Got stung by one, but is OK. Fortunately, the room was closed off and has a door to the outside. I left it open and cleared the wasps out and their nest.

When I got the cover off, all I could see is mechanical devices, and lines. A couple of electrical cables. No fan. It was in the well sealed compartment ahead of this one.

Even when I had the unit loose in the window, the fan was behaving much better. It's now hanging in place at an angle, well braced, and works just fine in that position. Unfortunately, getting to the fan compartment is a bigger job than I want now. Possible a label or paper got stuck peeled off. When the sun is beating on the outside area in a few hours, I'll put it all back in place.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
W. eWatson