a can opener that opens from the side?

I'm watching a rerun of Here's Raymond, or whatever it's called, and she buys a new can opener, because it's "better", because it opens from t he side, so there are no sharp edges.
I've seen this can opener. I think I might even have bought one.
It's true that it cuts off the lid from the side, below the seam, so there are no sharp edges on the lid, but instead there is a long sharp edge on the rest of the can.
This seems worse to me. Sometimes I drink some of the juice from canned fruit straight from the can, because otherwise I spill the juice. (And sometimes I eat straight from the can, but we won't get into that.)
It's 9 minutes in and they're still talking about the can opener. It seems Ray spilled some tuna fish liquid, and that seems much more likely also, because the can is shorter by the height of the seam. Two mm.? That's a lot.
What is the advantage of a can opener that opens from the side?

Cats won't cut their tongue?

The lid can be placed back on the top to cover the opening.
mm wrote:

Tuna is one reason I use the old-fashioned type - cut the lid all the way around, leave it in place and press it down to squoosh all the liquid out of the tuna. The lid is handy for anything I want to strain, like olives. Tomato paste: cut lid off top and remove it, cut lid off bottom and use it as a plunger to push out the tom. paste. Old habit: always clean off the lid with hot, soapy water before I open cans.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:41:14 -0500, in alt.home.repair, mm

I have a handheld one o' them. It doesn't actually cut the end of the can off, it cuts through the folded-over side of the lid while pinching the top to loosen it from the edge of the can (sort of like squeezing a grape out of its skin). When you take the lid off you're actually separating the sealed seam between can and lid. It doesn't leave sharp edges at all. The resulting lid can be set back on top of the can, and won't fall down inside. It's useful when I won't use an entire can of something right away, I can put the top back on and stick it in the fridge for a few days, no longer.
The side cutter is bad for e.g. tuna, where I use the lid as a press to get the excess water out. It's also bad for cans with a snap-fit plastic lid (e.g. coffee) because it doesn't leave much of a lip for the plastic lid to grab.
If I only had one can opener, it would be the regular one. If you have an extra ten bucks, it might be worth trying one, but if not you aren't really missing anything important.
Scott wrote:

Since trying one of these side cut openers, it's all I use. I seems much less trouble prone than the conventional style. I still have a conventional one, but it is rarely ever used.
The tuna draining part isn't an issue since I hate water pack tuna and only get oil pack where you don't have to wring out soggy fish. Much of the time I get the oil pack pouch so there isn't really any draining either.
The coffee can thing isn't an issue for me either as I do not use can coffee. I use either instant, or whole bean in the foil bags.

Cans fit on shelf that was barely too small to fit can opened from top :-)

I have one and it's great.
mm wrote:

TIP: Don't drink the pickle juice until all the pickles have been eaten, else you're liable to get one in the eye.
Just sayin'.
mm wrote:

I dunno, I'm still using my P-38 can opener....Works fine and is "green" cause it uses no electricity. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

The one I have opens from the side. It works by turning the handle with your hand. No electric used.
Marina wrote:

Yes, but it's considerably slower than a P-38 can opener...

At least I can keep my fingers with mine. <s>. I have a P-38 in a drawer and never use it (the P38, that is).

Put your P-38 on the key ring. Never leave home without a can opener...

Pretty durable too. Mine's more than 35 years old, works like new. -----
- gpsman
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:52:21 -0800 (PST), gpsman

Mine has been on my key ring at about the same age as your P-38. It has cut holes in my pant pockets. What a tool.
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 22:52:21 -0800 (PST), gpsman

I presume that is the two-piece hinged thing. I just bought a couple of those, at the West Point gift shop I think, one for home and one for camping, but haven't used either of them yet.
Most of the time I use a manual wall can-opener. The first one was second hand and lasted 5 or 10 years. The second one was exactly the same, fit in the same wall bracket, and lasted maybe 25 years, and the third one is exactly alike, fits in the same bracket, and is about 10 years old now. Swing-away. Can't beat 'em.
The only electric one I had someone gave me when it was old. Takes up too much space, have to plug it in, costs too much when new. No point to it unless one is handicapped, or opens cans for a living.
Used to have hand can openers with only one grip, that tightened on the can automatically when turning the key. Nothing to squeeze. Worked great until they wore out. I couldn't manage to fix either of them.

What does this have to do with home repair?