A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

Page 15 of 16

I've been here for over a year and a half, and never had an electric bill like that, the A/C has never ran continously like it is, and I never had any problems getting the temp down to 76 deg.
The unit couldn't get the temperature below 83 the other day, when the temperature outside was ONLY 90 deg with 37% humidity.

Whining about it on here won't get it fixed, calling your local housing authority might, and keep jumping on the landlord about his handyman doesn't know shit about HVAC, get a pro out there, will. Just flat tell the SOB, that he can send out a pro, and get it done right, or you will worry the stew out of him. There is nothing that says you can't call him on the phone dozens of times a day, or show up on his door step, and camp out until he does something. How many other tenents are having issues?? Maybe a call to your local TV station news room??

Those tactics work when something illegal is being done. Landlords are required to provide heat during the cold seasons, but, at least in most cases, not required to AC the place in the summer. The housing authority won't care much about the AC not being as cool as you'd like it.
wrote in message

All depends on the area and the ambient temperatures.

OK, so it's not the size of the AC.

What about today? It was working for a little while. It would be good to know about how long it was working, and what the temp is in the apartment today. And what the temp is outside.
You should keep at least a daily record, but maybe an every 12 or 6 or 4 hour record when you are not sleeping. This will be valuable in convincing the landlord it's still a real problem, in discussing things with a city agency or in court if it ever gets to either of those places, and might even turn out to help the repairmnan fix the problem, if the problem is intermittent, which it seems to be.
Do you have a thermometer? You must have a thermometer, and frankly it has to be more than 3 or 4 inches long to convince anyone it's ok. I'm sure you can get one for a dollar at a dollar store, and a good, prettier one for no more than 5. I'm still using a thermmeter I bought 35 years ago, and one I bought 29 years ago. They are white plastic so that it's gently backlit during the day time as the sun goes through the white plastic. I had to reglue the glass tube into place about 10 years ago (there's a small mark filed on the side that should be next to 32 when it is glued, or you can tell where it was sitting becuase there's a little dirt). I also bought a second identical thermometer when I didn't have eneough heat (see other post that may appear below this one) to keep a record of the indoor temp. So now I have one on the second floor outside and one on the frist floor outside.
Keep a record of the temp in the room you spend most of your time in, and of your bedroom, and measure the temp of the air coming out of the AC, and the air going in, probably where the ac guy did that, and keep a record of everything. You will get far more respect from everyone concerned than just saying it was 83 most days. Keep a record of which of your vents are open and which are closed, and anything unusual.
While your at it, even though it is the AC that is the big cause, look for anything else that might be cause heat loss. If you can cure anything yourself, your ll will respectd that. If you can't fix it, just list it calmly (although maybe not unless he asks or until the AC is fixed. If he's a bad landlord, he might decide to spend a week or two on some small air leak, rather than pay for a high-rate repair during the very hot weather.
Im assuming there is more than one rate. Do, or how many do, AC repairmen charge more during July and August. Or do they charge the same and you just have to wait at the bottom of the list?

These groups usually work slowly, I am under the impression. How could it be otherwise? First they call on the phone. The secretary says, He'll get back to you. He calls back the next day, and says he sent a repairman, but it doesn't seem to be fixed. They say, when do you think you will be able to fix it. He says, The AC company says tehgy'll be out the day after tomorrow. They call the tenant in a week to see if it is fixed. She's at work and calls back the next day, and so on.

It doesn't matter how much he knows. The point is that it isn't fixed yet. (assuming it is still hot inside today.)

Yes there is. At some point LESS than dozens of time a day, it is harrassment, and besides the potential liablitity for that, no court of agency will look kindly on someone who does that.

That too.

This is also a mistake, especially when dealing with someone who had it fixed a month ago (and as far as we know, it worked for the past month until it broke sometime within the last week) and who has sent a repairman, no matter how incompetnent. I'm sure the AC charged the LL for a service call, and when he finds out it still doesn't work, the LL will want to know what he's paying for. The AC company will say, as they should, that it had 18 degrees differential when they were there, and that is why the tenant has to keep a record like I say above.
Even if perchance the kind of repeated complaining you are recommending were to get her AC fixed, do you think she will get any cooperation on anything in the future. At most given the reaction of most people to being annoyed, she'll get the minimum the lease requires and she'll have to wait for that.
And when the lease expires, he may well refuse to renew it. AFAIK, in most places there is no recourse when a landlord refuses to renew a lease. Even in places with rent control or rent stabilization, unless you are in an aparment covered by one of those laws, there is afaik no recourse. Even in NYC maybe but for sure in most or all other places.
She's been there a year and ahalf. Her lease might be up in 6 months. It might have been up 6 months ago. She might be month-to-month now, or soon. 30 days notice and she's got to be out, or in some places she would have to the end of the month.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

humidity the latent-heatload will be minimal, allowing the sensible heatload to be removed & transferred outside much faster. Pull down the shades & close the drapes to keep the radiant heat from entering the conditioned space. Vent the bathroom after taking showers, don't cook things that steam up the kitchen, etc., the latent heatload reduces the evaporators Sensible (or Temperature Reducing) capacity! You can do a lot to keep the heatload much lower; do those things & reduce your utility bills! - udarrell

Yeah that's the ticket, alter your everyday activities so you can get by with a window unit.
Screw getting the central air repaired!!!!! <<<ROLLEYES>>>
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Prior to that, I did not know that this was not your first summer in this apartment. Faced with that new information, I would say your air conditioner is in fact broken.
- Logan
Logan Shaw wrote:

Simply BRILLIANT!! Wow!

LOL
There's some bright ones here, Tekkie! :-)
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

large percentage...

Carie, Logan is lost as to what the actual problem is...
Logan Shaw wrote:

It could be that when she steps into the apartment, that something generating more heat than the A/C unit can counter also simultaneously appears in the living area?
If the Toyota worked fine, for years. Now it's got a dirty air filter, carbon on the sparks, and the ignition timing is off. Does that mean the Toyota is under sized, and you need a Suburban?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Chris STFU, you're talking out your ass again!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Quit screwing with that loser, call a pro to fix it, pay the man then deduct it from your rent.

I hear you can do that in Illinois, or that use to be the case - maybe other places. The contract says no tenant repairs or improvements will be deducted from the rent. Of course that wouldn't matter if the contract was in IL because the law overrules it, but I don't believe that's the case here.
Carie is it chance that your ac also have electrical heat you could have both on at same time??????????? Tony

The electricity savings may very well pay for the cost of the repair guy. From what it sounds (from here) you need the outdoor unit taken apart, and cleaned with chemicals that AC guys use.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.