A/C won't stay cold during the day/at night works great?

I live if Florida and it seems like my A/C just can't compete with the heat. At night it works fine but during the day it runs all day and it won't bring it under 80. Any ideas would be great, thanks
Not really enough information, central air? tons? sq.ft you are trying to cool? I'll take a shot anyhow; assuming central air and big enough to do the job, try cleaning the coil in the air handler. I've seen those so clogged that if inverted they would hold water.
Eric in North TX wrote:

I will give it a shot, thank you so much.
My experience has been that getting to the coil to give it a good cleaning is gonna be tough - assuming that the basic layout hasn't changed much over the years - one house that I bought it was so bad that they took the coil out, disconnected it from the unit, and gave it an "acid bath" - had to recharge the freon and all - but it cooled great from then on - if you can get to the coil to clean it without disconnecting it, that'd be preferred - and don't forget to vacuum up the gunk that comes off of the coil into the drip pan, or your condensate line will stop up. Make sure to change the filter regularly - and make sure that it fits correctly or you'll have air hitting the coil (with dust and stuff) that hasn't passed through the filter and the coil will get clogged up again.
Have fun . . .

The coil will need cleaning even if you have other problems so that is the first order of business. You may have to disassemble or even cut out an access hole to get to it, but it has to be done. A slightly akaline cleaner can help speed the process.
' Beer Can Cold' is old but valid method for a home owner checking the Freon charge.
Let your system run for half an hour or so and feel the large insulated pipe that goes into the outside unit. Yesterday, on a 94 degee day, my chart said that line needed to be 64 degrees. Well that's quite a bit too hot for beer, but in 94 degree weather it felt beer can cold.
You can measure yours and see if it close to 64 degrees and if so, make an educated guess that your system is properly charged.
jcarter30 wrote:

Mine was doing the same thing. It was low on freon. After recharging, it works great.
Bob

And if the OP has a programmable tstat set with a deep setback, he's not going to be able to recover to a decent setpoint.
Call your service guy, and ask for service. Could be any of several things. The first which come to mind include dirty coils, and low freon.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.