A/C outside fan not running

I read the original post three times, and didn't see this.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got to replace the entire outdoor unit for a fellow last year. He poked the fan with a stick, and it ran. Did this again and again until one time he wasn't there, and the compressor burnt out.

You make more work for me. True story.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had my grand father's Simpson 260, and probably still have it. Something mashed the glass, and it doesn't read right any more. Great meter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Big spender. Use the $4 digital meter from Harbor Freight. These work great; I use 'em for permanently installed meters on electronics for CNC machine tools.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I love Walmart, and will now double my purchasing there to compensate for you.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The trade is fine. It's the tradesmen that are the problem.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I glad his feelings were helped, but his feelings are irrelevant.

The "more efficient" sales technique is increasingly a swindle. There are very few units remaining to be replaced from the dark ages of cheap electricity and dismal efficiency. These days, the "low efficiency" is often from mere lack of inexpensive maintenance.

Ask them for a concrete guarantee on your power meter if you don't believe.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

This is Turtle.

So M , You say it is OK to hold a wire / Lead from a VOM in your hand with the insulation on the wire rated at 300 volts or less and I apply 480 volts to the wire. You say you will be safe holding the wire in your hand when standing in a puddle of water or wet feet. Well M , If you say yes. i got to say you got Balls. I just don't have the Balls to do that and you can just call me a chicken out person.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

wait for the sales and they sell them for $1.99 .

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

If you have a 7 seer system and you go to a 14 seer system. I will Concrete garrenty, you will get atleast a 10% cheaper cost to operate the system. Now you might get more but i want sure things.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

So Kinch the Grinch thinks most old inneficient furnaces and heating equipment has been swapped out !! Haaaa Haaaa Haaa what a bozoo you are kinche . Its a fact that even in new construction most people opt for the hot tub or other " luxery " item and and go for the 82% vs the

94.5 % You are wrong again kinchee
Reply to
m Ransley

garrenty, you will get atleast a 10% cheaper cost to

Of course if you believe the hype, you should cut your bill in half.

Reply to
Bruce

Sorry to hear you feel that way Richard. The trade is made up of the tradesmen, Bruce agreed that humans in general were the problem.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

He dosen't think so.

Well, he just bought the house and it had a lot of delayed maintance. I told hime the equipment wouldn't last long and I was right. BTW, the old unit was 17 years old and looked like it had never been serviced. The coil was plugged with grass clippings and the contactor was in bad shape.

We'll see. I told him it would save energy and I know it will. The truth will show in about a month when his new bill comes in.

Reply to
HeatMan

Concrete garrenty, you will get atleast a 10% cheaper cost to

Not quite half, but cut it down by about 1/3. Of course, you have to look at degree days and tie that into the kW consumed.

Reply to
HeatMan

garrenty, you will get atleast a 10% cheaper cost to

This is turtle.

I am in the HVAC / R business and get to see the business first hand and the effects of the seer rating in effect models. 80% of my business is commercal hvac / r work and they don't want seer but cold air coming out their vents. The other residentiual 20% of my customers are going to buy from me no matter what seer i sell them. i don't care if they buy 10 seer or 200 seer. I just tell them what the manufactor and the U.S. Government has to say as how much they will cut the electric bills and also what i have seen and heard from customers telling me about the units I have installed. For a example of a

8 Seer and a 13 seer on my own house the 8 seer was costing me during the 5 hot months total electric bill of average of $259.00 per month and when I replaced it with 13 seer system. my average 5 month electric bill was about $165.00 a month. Now here lately i changed it to a 14 seer from a 13 seer and i will say i did not see much diffence at all in my electric bill. I seem to think it got higher. I also being a little crazy and want to see what happens when you do something different. I took the 14 seer condenser off my house and put a 8 seer Rheem builders model condenser [ about 20 years old used unit ] and left the 14 seer expanion valve evaperator coil and gas furnace on it. then i looked at my electric bills and seen no change of cost to operation from the 13 seer or the 14 seer condenser running on the house than having the 20 year old 8 seer condenser doing the job. I haven't figured this one out yet.

TURTLE

Once you have seen first hand that the ratings systems may be flawed but they do have some good savings involved. You are not to quick to say over all that it is all bullshit.

Reply to
TURTLE

have some good savings involved. You are not to

Really all it comes down to are the amps drawn by the compressor. That is what makes the electric meter spin, no argument about it. If I compare a SEER 10 and a SEER 14, I better see the RLAs on the 14 40% lower than the

  1. If I don't, you better be able to tell me that it will run 40% less or some combination of the two that adds up to a 40% reduction.

Of course, AC guys will tell you that the most efficient units run much of the time in the summer if sized properly so it gets back to RLAs. If my

4-ton 10 SEER is spec'd at 23 RLAs, the 4-ton 14 SEER better be spec'd at 13.8.

I'll bet you can't find me on that is rated that low though, even a SEER 15 or higher.

Reply to
Bruce

they do have some good savings involved. You are not to

It all comes down to a ratio of input watts and btuh's realized. It is easiest to see as you described it, but there are many other system factors that influence the efficiency. Amperage is a measurement of the speed of flow and as such doesn't take into account LRA current drawn at startup, defrost cycles, fan motor heat, etc. as is figured in the SEER rating.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

they do have some good savings involved. You are not to

LOL... How about a properly sized unit that will run up to 50% longer, but save you up to 45% on your bill? Oh..thats right...never ever heard of that....but funny thing is, they exist.

The "ac guys" sure know a bit more about it than you tho...altho, you bring up some basic misconceptions about how a SEER rating is attached to a unit.

4 ton (48,000BTU) H1RA048 York....RLA 6.1 amps.....oh....thats 10 SEER.

Of course, I like that RLA of 5.8amps on the 036....

Of course, I have yet to see a unit that actually will run at RLA all the time.....I have installed 12SEER units that are rated at over 21RLA, yet, only pulled about 8...gee...wonder if that had anything to do with the proper sizing of the ductwork, ambients, or anything like that.

If you think that amps are the only thing that makes that meter spin, you would be wrong. If you think RLA is any indication of how the feds rate SEER, then you need to learn again, since its not how it happens. Look it up and be amazed that the word watts shows up.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

LOL! Watts = Amps * Volts dood and the volts are constant. No way to vary watts without varying the amps in that case.

Reply to
Bruce