A/C compressor sometimes does not start, need a kick

Page 1 of 2
I have an A/C that sometimes (rarely) fails to start. I learned that what cures it is going outside and giving it a slight, loving kick. Then it starts.
It seems like a simple problem, maybe a solenoid getting stuck or some such. Any thoughts?

first try a new start capacitor
it's cheap (about $10)

Second that. I had to do some "kicking" to get my blower fan started.
Where do you get a contactor for that price? I'm serious.
Wanted to replace a badly corroded relay (contactor) for the furnace-a/c blower and local place quoted $42. It's a Lennox furnace, but I asked for generic, which the young lady had no idea about. Rating: 24V Coil, Contacts 1.4 HP @ 240V
I ended up cleaning the contacts and it works fine, but it's corroded in general, so a new one may not be a bad idea.
Rich

try ebay, that's not a huge amp rating...
yesterday I bought a 50 A, 3 pole contactor with 110v coil for $3, at a junk yard. And the contactor is working fine in my phase converter that I built yesterday.

Johnstone supply....sometimes they have 10 packs of Funas brand contactors for the incredible price of $5 each. lol

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:51:09 -0400, Carolina Breeze HVAC

Carolina, can you please explain in a little mroe detail, I do not understand what you are suggesting.

He's suggesting replacing the 220V contactor (relay) in the condensing unit. Energized by 24VAC from the thermostat...

Thanks. I will try checking it out soon.

Or at least remove the mashed ants from the contactor points...:)

Maybe a little "thermostat roulette" and cleaning them without throwing the disconnect :)
message

A few-dirty contactor points, flaky compressor overload
You're probably right. Good guess.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Ignoramus9394 wrote:

There is no stuck solenoid, that was BAD guess. Stormin sometimes posts to hear himself post. You either have a sticking contactor, pitted contacts on the contactor, a loose electrical connection, or a high or low pressure switch or other safety switch not making good contact.
hvacrmedic

Well, the contactor has a solenoid inside, am I mistaken?

Mistaken, its on the outside..LOL
Stormin is a hack, period. Granted, hes persistant, but his advice over the years has been dangerous at best, and for the most part, people that have a clue, and want to have their item running correctly ignore him. Im states that require a licence, he would have been stripped of it some time ago. Here, at best, he would be a class H felon.
Checking a contactor takes about 20 seconds total and thats including to see if the oxidation on the points is such to prevent proper contact. You either have bad contact, or you have a bad slide on the unit, so replace it and be done with it.

Ignoramus27279 wrote:

The contactor is a solenoid actuated relay, but we don't say "stuck solenoid" we say "stuck contactor". "Solenoid" when used by itself is taken to mean "solenoid valve".
hvacrmedic

Oh, I see. I meant the solenoid actuated contactor. Thank you for correcting my terminology.
I certainly hope that one or more of us feels better, now that we are all using correct terminology.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus