50 tools everyone should own

Page 1 of 2
By the editors of Popular Mechanics
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/4314786.html
I'd add:
* Fein Multimaster or its clone * Pencil * ????
Your suggestions?

I would put an electric hammer as number 1 on the list.
Most people refer to them as Sawzalls or recriprocating saws.
On Fri, 1 May 2009 11:15:17 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor

* plumb-bob and string

Side grinder

I suggest they take the non-tool items off the list: Goggles? Dust Mask? Oh brother. Why not underwear?
I'd replace the nearly useless coping saw with a powered miter saw anyday.

re: I'd replace the nearly useless coping saw with a powered miter saw anyday.
Coping saws are far from useless. It all depends on the types of projects your work on. I use one quite often for making fine cuts in fiberglass and other materials.

The damned things have a mind of their own sometimes. I get more precise results nibbling away at materials with any number of other power tools. And it's a lot faster with power tools.
That reminds me, they should also take the crosscut saw off the list. I'd rather have a pneumatic brad nailer. They already have a circular saw on their list.
On Fri, 1 May 2009 12:08:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

    I also use both. They don't really compete any more than a screwdriver competes with a utility knife.
On May 1, 12:21pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm not saying anything about direct competition or substitution. I'm just saying they should make room on the list for other tools that better qualify for the top 50.

Again, it all depends on the projects you work on the most. In my top 50, a coping saw - or better yet, a jewlers saw - would be on the list but the pick ax wouldn't. Sure, I think the power miter should be on the list also and would certainly be in my top 50.
Ask 50 people to name their top 50 tools and you'll get 50 different lists. There will be a lot of commonality, but I doubt any list will match another exactly.
For any given tool to "better qualify" as a top 50 is highly dependant on who you ask and what types of projects they work on. No list would be better than any other when taken in context of whose list it is.

While I feel your pain (in a later post you mention "the damned things often have a mind of their own") regarding the aforementioned coping saw, I often find myself forced to use it for finer work (or cutting something that it tucked away and doesn't allow for me to use any other tool easily.
A power mitre saw should definitely be on the list, though.
The Ranger
Mike, a coping saw is for coping a joint, the power miter is NOT a substitute, it is an alternative way of making an inside corner joint. Most carpenters would agree that the coped joint is superior. There is a replacement coping shoe available for most commercial jig saws that can be a power replacement for the coping saw. http://www.collinstool.com/base.php?page=tools.htm
I do agree that I would rather have a power miter box than a hand box and coping saw for a whole house of trim.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
mike wrote:

Hard to replace if you want to make classic quality inside corners when installing trim.
A *quality* studfinder also better belongs on the top 50 than a combo wrench (aready have socket set and adjustable wrench on the list).
Oh, and earmuffs are not tools. That makes room for a digging bar on the top 50.
mike;2945999 Wrote: > A *quality* studfinder also better belongs on the top 50 than a combo > wrench (aready have socket set and adjustable wrench on the list). > > Oh, and earmuffs are not tools. That makes room for a digging bar on > the top 50. Well the stud finder help me find a man too?
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Bowsaw?! Who uses a bowsaw still? Talk about a USELESS tool.
The Ranger

I use mine a couple of times a year for tree trimming. For a small branch or two, faster than getting out the chain saw.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

branches. It is sharp and well-waxed, but still binds up in green wood at less than blade depth. I don't have enough land to justify a real chain saw, but the toy electric one I bought for 15 bucks at a garage sale has come in very handy. McCullough, I think. Suppose I need to get a file and jig to touch it up, once it gets a few more hours on it.
-- aem sends...

I used one just today to cut a few branches off a tree. Used it a few times altrady this year. You can whack off a 2x4 with one too vs getting the circular saw out for a piece ot two.

Take out the pick.
When a pick or post hole digger ("real work") is needed, quick as a flash, out comes my checkbook. -----
- gpsman