50% Increase in Pool Chlorine Cost

I went to buy chlorine today. I had been paying $20 for 8 gallons of 12% ($2.50/gallon), today the price jumped to $30 ($3.75/gallon).

Reply to
sms

sms wrote in news:ksa0g1$3cs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

A chlorine refinery in Texas was wiped out by a hurricane.

Reply to
Tegger

Yea, but watermelons are cheap.

Reply to
Studor Valve

($2.50/gallon), today the price jumped to $30 ($3.75/gallon).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi Steve,

I tried to tell you about this before it happened since they told me they were going to do that.

They told me HASA stopped the deal where The Pool Guys, in Saratoga, would sell 8 gallons of pool chlorine for the price of 4 gallons.

Now it's just 8 gallons for the price of 6 gallons.

What irked me was that they charged you the tax on the full price of the second (free) set of 4 gallons - but - if you paid them cash - they didn't ring it up ever.

So, they were charging YOU the tax, but they were keeping it for themselves (and not giving it to the feds).

I don't mind them not giving it to the feds, but, they shouldn't charge us for that tax if they're pocketing it for themselves.

Anyway, they're still pocketing the "tax" if you pay cash, but, what they're doing now is selling you 8 gallons for the price of 6, so, they're only cheating you out of two gallons worth of tax.

Plus, they use the chlorine for pool work, so, checking their inventories against receipts won't work, so it's free money to them. Again, I don't care - but they shouldn't charge me for a tax that they themselves are clearly not paying.

Lot's of companies in the Silicon Valley do this; you'd think the franchise tax board would just go around buying stuff with cash and noticing that it's not rung up on the register.

I complained but they still do it. I don't care if they're not paying tax but they shouldn't charge me if they're not (Vito's New York Style Pizza off of Lawrence does the same thing.)

Reply to
Danny D'Amico