$5,000 for installation of Trane 15i A/C? Reasonable?

Page 3 of 3

belly
There was a hurricane last year in his area....very easy to get good fortune mixed up with business savvy.
That and with his apparently always pressuring folks about the possible unavailability of 22 gas or a drop-in by say the year 2015 or somesuch, then appears he's maybe currently selling them things like hotcakes.
( Prolly still mostly if not all items sold are still running r-22.)
--Don't like it all then suggest start your own fucking hvac business.
--
SVL

OK.... you did get bent over..... 13 SEER condenser with a 10 SEER coil... the coil should have been an RCHJ-48A2 or an RCFJ-AU4821AC to actually get 13 SEER

My labor rates have not changed in almost 2 years, but your right, I do need to raise my rates due to the rising costs of parts, materials. fuel, insurance, utilities, groceries, etc.

I don't have the expansion valve numbers handy but what I do remember is the combination gave me a SEER between 12-14. I haven't gotten my first electric bill yet so time will tell. All I know is the system works great and I didn't get bent over. Either way, the parts are relatively the same price wise (certainly not thousands apart) so I still think $6-7k is still too much. Keep in mind I did my own electrical....which knocked off $500.

Geese... you just can't seem to get your story straight..... if it has an expantion valve on it, its either an RCHJ or an RCGJ, NOT an RCBA. The RCBA-048 is 21 inches wide, the RCHJ/RCGJ-48A2 coils are 24 inches wide. I suppose that you are still using a one-speed furnace with it?? To actually *GET* 13 SEER with any of the Rheem "M" coils require a variable speed blower....but you already knew that. As I said, a RAND-048JAZ, with the *correct* coil and furnace combination, *installed* is $6,000 - 7,000.

Well at the end of the day, I know what I've got is working just fine and for half of what you seem to think it should have cost. All the more reason to get more than one bid. I'm moving on to better conversations.......

yeah yeah.... all you got was half of what you paid half price for. You got it cheap, you didn't get it right.

I love those...the: "what *I* have is working just fine" units....
Normally, they call back later and ask if the original quote to make it rights good still.
BTW....dunno how many of you got your new price sheets this week...thanks to copper going up, so did equipment....25% across the board.

I sure hope that's not true. 25% geeze... What copper have to go up price 500% or something to do that.
I'll have to check with my supplier... they had a 10% increase last month.

"James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson" wrote:

its all politics. R22 is being artificially pushed higher to make R410A more attractive. Supply has very little to do with it, as major industrial players have extensive stockpiles. Increasingly, most all manufacturers are moving to all 410A in package 3 phase.
If R22 leaks out of my system, I merely add R22 gas. If R410A leaks out of Nooner's system, to do it right, he has to recover the remainder in his system and then recharge. I can buy alot of gas at his labor rates.
hey you guys hear about all the leaking 410A coils lately?
heard thru the grapevine important people are starting to take notice of the hundreds of 1000's of R22 commercial & resi units replaced every year but not corresponding R22 recovery.