4 Gal air compressor opinions??????

    I am thinking of buying a 2 HP 4 Gal air compressor from Harbor Freight. It is made by Central Pneumatic. My use would be primarily for inflating items, but I would like to have the capability to use the compressed air to blow off items. Realizing that it is probably more than I need, I thought it might be better to buy a larger unit than to be sorry later. Has anyone had any experiences with Central Pneumatic compressors or suggestions as to a decent but inexpensive compressor??? Thanks.
Ken
It would probably be fine for your application!
I use one of those no tank 1 hp sears compressors and it works fine for inflating and cleaning and have run some small air tools
I also have a 5 hp 30 gallon compressor that gets very little use

Good Luck...
Toller wrote:

    Are you saying you bought one of these and that was the result?????

That is correct. It simply died. I didn't think it was worth trying to fix, so I don't actually know what was wrong.
Every time I buy a cheap tool I regret it. I replaced it with a tiny Senco http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidG94&WeeklySpecial=True It is not very powerful (takes a while to inflate an SUV tire...), but quiet and light. Ought to be fine for your needs. Okay, it is twice the price of the HF, but worth it.
In article <ojfPf.23057$J02.1031@bgtnsc04-

Central Pneumatic is HF's brand of cheap Chinese import air tools. For your use it's likely good enough though. I've bought several tools from HF with various levels of satisfaction (thinking about the flooring stapler that's on sale). A couple of cordless drills were a waste of money but I like the 10" sliding compound miter saw (for $100 I like it a *lot* ;).
You might look at the Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake compressor. I'm sure it's more expensive, but you might get a deal. I picked one up about six months ago at the BORG for $299, including a 16ga. finishing nailer, 18ga. brad nailer, and 1/4" crown stapler. It's worked quite well, so far.
--
Keith

I have two of the 2 h.p. 4 gallon oil-lubricated units. They were about $240 each. The Hitachi EC12 and a Rol-Air Bull. Both work very well and recover quickly. I use them with pneumatic nailers and staplers. They inflate vehicle tires just fine but do get a bit warm when they cycle several times to inflate a tire.

Toller wrote:

    Got a link?? Sounds like a good deal.
says...

needed the *finishing* mailer, though. ;-) The other two came along for the ride (haven't used the stapler yet).
--
Keith

I have both a Porter Cable oil-free 6 gal pancake compressor and a Harbor Freight oil-lubed 5 gal twin tank. The PC is, IMO, unbearably loud for home shop use. I'll usually switch it on it on, leave the shop for a few minutes while it pumps up, and hope it doesn't kick in again while I'm working. Honestly, I'm much happier with the HF, which is quieter, more powerful, and has worked flawlessly for me.
snipped-for-privacy@fast.net says...

basement, behind a (sort of) wall and plumbed air around the basement and out to the garage. It's not *too* bad set up this way.
--
Keith