4 cycle engine

18 hp Briggs & Stratton, 2 cylinder. There is gas in the crankcase oil, and also oil coming out of the driver's side exhaust port.
I pulled the cover that exposes the valve springs and both valves seem to be moving correctly, but I haven't pulled the head to see if the valves are closing completely yet.
Any ideas/suggestions?
First thing came to mind was leaky float needle int he carb. Liquid gas going into the piston, and past th e rings.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

First choice followed by (if used) pinhole in fuel pump diaphragm...
On 1/17/2005 11:19 AM US(ET), Floating Mind took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Check the piston rings while you are in there.
--
Bill

Your carb float or float seat is not closing off the gas. Do you leave the carb gas valve open? You may have alot of gas in the motor and cilinders. Drain oil, put in new oil , remove plugs and crank to see if gas comes out. Probably the carburator causing it.
Thanks for your suggestions! I'll investigate the fuel pump & carb before I do anything with the head.
Floating Mind wrote:

BTW, it can be a stuck float or a float w/ either a hole in it or if not a hollow style gas-logged one so it doesn't shut off....check the float before dismantling the seat/needle valves, etc.
Good idea to get tanked (gassed) before you go for a head job.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus