36 inch Samsung TSF-3579 tube TV - Size and Weight of Picture Tube

Whats a good guess on the dimensions and weight of the Picture Tube in this 36 inch tube TV?
If I can dismantle my TV and carry the parts down 3 flights of stairs, I don't have to pay movers to do it.
I know I have to unplug it for at least a week, clip the tube and take a few other safety type precautions like wrapping the tube with a cover so it does not explode, but I am wondering, after all this, will I be able to carry it down by myself. I can move something that weighs a 100 pounds as long as I can get my arms around it. I am 5'10"

Troll? Maybe My 34" HD TV weighs 185 pounds. Most is in the glass tube. What you propose is idiotic to save a few bucks. If movers are coming anyway, it would at $5 or $10 to the cost. If they drop it, they pay. If you drop it, you cry.
120-200lb, but what you are thinking is dumb, the tube is 90% of the weight. It wont be safer to move, it will be much less safe, but go ahead.
On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:16:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

That sort of thing is why I don't have a TV like that. What I have is a screen and projector, nothing anywhere near that heavy.

Mark Lloyd
Heck, just leave it for the next tenant and buy a new HDTV.
-Tim

I've done that with a refrigerator. It was the only thing I couldn't move myself. I got a better refrigerator for that.

Mark Lloyd

you could but you'd wished you haddent
On 7 Nov 2006 10:53:40 -0800, GMGJ wrote:

If you do this, make sure you videotape it and send it to America's Funniest Home Videos. Put it on YouTube, also.
bad idea you will almost certinally ruin your tv set.
picture tubes are very fragile and bump the neck brings a explosion........
besides its full of fragile adjistments
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's implosion ....

I always thought it was full of electron guns and focusing elements....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Mostly, the tube is full of nothing.

Mark Lloyd
Yep elctron guns and focusing screens....oh and a cathode heater in the neck :) I have never had to do any adjustments inside the tube....seems like it would degas if you did that...The only adjustments are usually on the chassis, unless you decide it would be fun to move the magnets around on the yoke and try to get the tube converged again :P.
I wouldnt reccomend what the OP was proposing...but when I do it with my arcade monitors I have a long plastic handled screwdriver with a jumper wire hooked to it...this goes to ground. Slide the tip of the screwdriver under the anode cup (may or may not be a pop), disconnect the anode, disconnect the RGB and sync connectors, disconnect power, disconnect yoke windings from chassis and degauss coil and remove the neck board..that should just get the tube free.
Also, I have ticked the neck off of a arcade picture tube and there was no "Explosion", simply a loud continual hissing letting me know that I ruined a picture tube beyond repair..
Man Jeff, some people have no idea what is in a tv even thought hey think they want to :), agreed?
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Around 1952 my after school job was working for a radio and TV shop in San Francisco owned by a guy named Bud Fiske. (So, how come I can pull that guy's name up out of my memory so easily and I sometimes can't remember to zip my fly up 5 seconds after emptying my bladder?)
Anyway, those were the days of big console TV sets in folk's living rooms, and if they needed more fixing than could be accomplished by my replacing some weak or dead vacuum tubes in situ, I'd have to pull the chassis, which often had the CRT mounted to it, and schlep the whole thing to the shop in my car.
On one occassion I managed to lose my grip on a 19" chassis/CRT and watch in horror as it tumbled all the way down a flight of stairs with not unexpected results.
Another time I was carrying a big CRT face down on the back seat of my car (No seat belts in cars back then to tie it down with.) and had to stop short. The tube tipped off the seat, its neck hit the front seatback and bust off with a much bigger sound than just a "hiss".
Why I wasn't fired I'll never know. There are angels who look after teen agers most of the time....I learned to be more careful in later years.
Thanks for the mammaries....
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

You're either a troll or insane or an idiot. You're going to take a TV *apart* ?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You say that like they are mutually exclusive. I vote for all 3!