3 prong outlet, which way is up?

They don't keep kids fingers out.

I just so happened to have to unplug the freezer in my garage this evening. Right angle plug, ground up. That would explain why I installed the receptacle ground up.

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.
what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.
have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent this, bet one day they are code

had some change fall off a tablew and fell just right to a ground down outlet with plug not in all the way a few years ago.
what a spark display, it took a long time for the breaker to trip. i nearly turned them all to ground up after this exciting event.
have seen some devices with accordion like rubber covers to preevent this, bet one day they are code
Already is in the real world! Has been for years in Brit.

With 240 volt supply the Brit has an even better reason for protections.

Actually, a partially unplugged cord like that could be a fire hazard in its own right since contact area of the blades are seriously minimized depending on how far it's come apart. Those coins only alerted you to a possible fire hazard, actually. And I'll be that couldn't happen again in a million years. Just for grins, I tried sliding some coins down the wall just now and couldn't get any to hit the prongs. However, Murphy says ... .

I just look at the cord that's going to plug into it; if it seems to want a particular direction, that's how I install the receptacle. No codes except possibly some few local codes seem to care about it.
In the bedroom where the mattress is nearby the window ac, I use those screw-on plug covers to insure they can't be rubbed loose or pushed around should the bed move over and touch them. They only cost a buck or so apiece and work like a charm.
Cheers,
Twayne
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:57:46 -0400, "TWayne"

How many tries do I get?
Can I put a square night stand, like the ones commonly used beside the bed, in front of the outlet?
How about using a square end table?
How about a chest of drawers?
Can I use a metal tray or a coat hanger?
It may never start a fire in a home, but it would certainly cause enough of a spark to be careful in a place where they are using oxygen.

I installed a GFCI in a bedroom a few years ago and added 3 prong receptacles down stream in that same room.
This weekend, I was painting another room, whose 2 prong receptacles are also downstream of the GFCI, so I decided to replace them also.
After reading this thread over the course of the last few days, I found this interesting, if not a little errie:
The neutral slot on all the receptacles was on the left. In order to just remove the old receptacles and install the 3 prong ones, without twisting any wires - just a simple in and out swap - all the grounds on the 3 prongers ended up - up!