3 phase energy consumption?

I was wondering where to get objective information on energy cost comparison between the same device (air conditioner) in 3 phase vs single phase. I will be getting a new condenser next season (maybe 3.5 to 5 ton), and 3 phase is available, but I would need to justify putting in a panel for it. I already have adequate panel space in single phase. Natural gas has gone up quite a bit here, and I might consider an all electric heat pump, as well. I'd would like to have 3ph anyway for machinery, etc, but it would help the decision if the a/c would actually run cheaper. Someone was telling me that electric meters are more weighted towards amperage, than just wattage, but I have my doubts on that. Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill a

I know where I live 3 phase for a residence is an act of god or produce load calculations for something like 100 kw demand. If I were you I would look into what it will cost for an phase service then look at the cost of an single phase air conditioner. I seriously doubt that there is any payback. You must contact your utility to see what the rate differences are. 3 phase will no doubt have an demand charge maybe more. Unless you have an machine shop that runs 18 hours a day your probably tilting at windmills.

An 3 phase motor does draw less amps but the kwh is about the same. An horse power is still an horse power whether it be 3 phase or single phase. Wire sizes are smaller with 3 phase and all of the protective devices are smaller in size and usually more in initial cost.

Reply to
SQLit

This is Turtle.

The ideal you have is full of holes as to try to burn less electric as cost goes by having a 3 phase hvac system. Most all 3 phase equipment has a SEER rating of

7 to 9 seer and just a few have 9.8 seer rating but really rare. Let's say you buy the highest seer rating they make 10 seer in a 3 phase hvac system and it cost you $100.00 a month to run it. If you would buy a 14 seer in single phase hvac system and the 3 phase will cost you $100.00 a month to run it. The 14 SEER single phase hvac system will cost you $60.00 a month to run it.

3 phase 10 seer hvac system = $100.00 a month to run it.

Single phase 14 seer hvac system = $60.00 a month to run it.

Now Try this out !

Single phase 16 seer hvac system = $40.00 a month to run it.

Which one sounds better to pay for ''''' $100.00 a month '''''' or ''''' $40.00 a month '''''' to cool your building?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
bill a

I wasn't aware that the higher seer units were unavailable in 3 ph. That would make a considerable difference in the decision.

Bill

Reply to
bill a

here's an article that seems to imply that 3ph motors are inherently more efficient and that 3ph compressors do run more cheaply

bill

Reply to
bill a

This is Turtle.

The 3 phase compressor may run very cheaply but the compressor is what that is rated here and the system as a whole is not rated. Cost to operate is rated in seer and not in the out put of A compressor but the system as a whole.

The highest seer rating of any 3 phase system know to man today is a 10 seer rating and single phase systems have rating of 16 seer + .

No matter how you look at it 3 phase is a electric hog made to even run on low voltage where a single phase will not run on low voltage!

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE