240V overhead line NOT

Page 2 of 2

On 3/21/2010 9:15 AM, Tegger wrote:

"electrocuted to death" is a pleonasm. To electrocute is to *kill* with electricity.

A belated flip through my dictionary reveals that you are correct.
Does this mean that when the RAID people say their product, "Kills Bugs Dead", they're been pleonasming us all these years? I'm shocked. Not electrocuted, mind you, just shocked.
(BTW, I invented the word "pleonasming" for the purposes of this reply. Copyright pending.)
--
Tegger

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote the following:

I thought a pleonasm was a kind of dinosaur.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

That's a repetitive pleonasm.
Jon

And also redundant as well, too.
--
Tegger

I thought it was something to do with an orgasm! :-)

BTW, the word "electrocute" comes from "execute" which does NOT mean "kill". It actually means "do". When a prisoner is sentenced to death, it's the sentence that's executed not the prisoner.

That's good to know. So, if one is told they are going to be executed, it just means they are going to be done, not killed.
Dumb ass.
execution (ks-kyshn) n. 1. a. The act of executing something. b. The state of being executed. 2. The manner, style, or result of performance: The plan was sound; its execution, faulty. 3. The act or an instance of putting to death or being put to death as a lawful penalty. 4. Law a. The carrying into effect of a court judgment. b. A writ empowering an officer to enforce a judgment. c. Validation of a legal document by the performance of all necessary formalities. 5. Archaic Effective, punitive, or destructive action. The Ame

I know of several people who have been electrocuted on household voltage. One was an electrician. One hit an overhead wire with an aluminum ladder he was carrying. One was a millwright electrocuted by an electric drill or grinder.
It can happen. it only takes 60 to 70 milliamps to kill a human. The "let-go current" is generally about 5 to 7 milliamps for a woman and 7 to 9 for a man. Current exceding that level causes muscle contractions to the point you cannot let go of whatever you have in your hand. And AC is more dangerous than DC at the same power level because the current impulse/clench happens 60 times a second on household alternating current.
How much voltage is required to produce 9ma current flow in your body? or 70 milliamps? Depends a lot on where the current is flowing, the dampness of the skin, etc - but it's safe to say "less than 110 volts under the right (or wrong) circumstances"

was this in the US or Europe? Mark