20 amp circuit/14-2 wire?

Page 3 of 3
Speedy Jim wrote:

I know they don't apply. But if I was ever questioned accusatively about the 14 gauge wire, that's the bluff I would use. :-)
If you look up the ampacity of #14 THHN wire, I believe it is 20 amps, with a footnote that other sections of the code limit its use to 15A. (I think there's just not enough margin when using #14 at 20A) OP has a fixed load of just a couple of amps, and it won't be extended later because it is switched.
It's not done correctly and should be rewired, but if that's *really* hard to do I don't see a problem leaving it as is. If the extension ran to a receptacle or was nonswitched I wouldn't be as accepting of it (but even then it wouldn't be all *that* risky unless the cable was packed in insulation and couldn't dissipate heat.
Best regards, Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Since this is an academic discussion <g>, if he ran Romex, the 90C conductors inside are limited to a 60C rating. (Go figger...) But you're right; I wouldn't have any qualms about the breaker protecting such a circuit during any kind of fault. Jim

This is Turtle.
The NEC code you was refering to say the #14 wire will cover 20 amps in certain conditions such as lighting, electric heaters, and none motor items being used. if they put a ceiling fan up there they will get could on the motor on it and refers to the foot note to not have a 20 amp ability and a 20 amp braker on it. It will fall back to the 15 amp ability of the wire and 15 amp on the breaker. this seem like splitting hairs here but when you start questioning the NEC codes usely you are later questioned by the State fire marshal about how did the fire start.
There was a State Fire Marshal that told me one time that if every house and building was wire and applied to the safe side NEC code to the letter. There would not be but 1/2 the fires they would have looking at.
I have a Uncle that his house burned to the ground because a friend of his run a #12 wire to his pump house and come out of the eves and did not put a wire hanger to hold the wire and not let it rub the boards of the eve. NEC said it should have a hanger on it and cost about 88 cents and the insurance company paid out $125K. Just watch when you want to push the NEC just a little.
TURTLE
Thanks all...It will be replaced.
deloid wrote:

If it was me, and it was a PIA to replace that wire, I'd put an inline fuse holder with a 10 amp 250 volt 3AG fuse inside that box with the receptical and feed the hot side of the 14-2 running from there to the switch through it. I'd personally feel quite safe with that.
Here's a fuseholder which ought to easily fit in a standard box behind the receptical:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_011_004_004_000&product_id '0-1217
HTH,

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
This is one of those things that is illegal but not really unsafe. If this is a pure motor load you could use the 430 rules and find he is perfectly legal BTW. The 240.4(D) rule limiting small conductors to the next size is to protect receptacle outlets, where you have no control over the load, not fixed loads, although the code does not slice it that finely(except in articles like 430)
That's a good idea, as long as the owner knew about the fuse. Can't you just see them wondering why the circuit was dead.
toller wrote:

I thought about that just after I hit "send". My immediate thought was to tell the OP to put a note under the wall switch plate telling where the fuse was. That'd be a logical place for someone troubleshooting things to find it. <G>
Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Your fine w/ the 14 . All you morons that insisted on 12, if you look at the wires in the fan you'll see that they're not 12, most are 16. Put a 15amp breaker in. only a few bucks.