1995 Mtd snowblower wont start

-------------------------------------
I have a 1995 Mtd yard machines 5 hp 2 stage snowthrower. I recently tried to start it in early preparation for winter. It would not start. Cleaned and rebuilt carb and still wont start. Engine model is hssk50 pull start no electric. Anyone have any ideas before i call it trash?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 311617 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
snowblowerman wrote:

Hi, Do you have spark? Is engine flooded?(spark plug wet?)
Does it have gas in it? FRESH gas?

Try a squirt of ether on the air cleaner filter. See if it burns ether vapors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:47:30 GMT, pb85005_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (snowblowerman) wrote:

How do you know you rebuilt the carb correctly? What were the exact symptoms when it didn't start? Is there spark? Is there adequate compression? What's in the fuel tank and lines? Did you clean those, too? Where did you get the "fresh gas" from? From a can that sat a long time?
You have a lot to check before doing anything rash. If it's in generally decent shape, it's probably worth taking to a shop for repair if you can't check all the above yourself.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

That's for damn sure. I have a 2006 MTD, similar specs, that I was lucky to find for $500 almost brand new from a 5'3" 100-pound fellow that was scared of it. If it doesn't start this fall, I'll sure consider $50 for a shop visit worth it, versus buying a new one. I don't think the design has changed much in 20 years or so.
(I don't understand why they cost so much more than lawn mowers, when they aren't that much more complicated...)
--
aem sends....

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:47:30 GMT, pb85005_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (snowblowerman) wrote:

Did you adjust the mixture screws correctly, even close? Fuel line shut-off valve in proper orientation?
pb85005_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (snowblowerman) wrote:
-snip-

I would probably buy a $50 carb for it before I trashed it. But then I'd have done that before I rebuilt a carb. I did my last one last Dec. Isn't worth the aggravation.
Now I just go to http://www.psep2.biz/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx , order a $50 carb and relax. [their prices and service are great. Their website sucks- I can't remember how I found the page of carbs, but they are there. They also have telephone service which is good]
Jim

It's a single barrel carb. Not complicated to rebuild. My fun is having kit parts left over and hearing the engine run.

But the *un*fun is spending $15-20 and a few hours and still not having it run. There are seals and seats and narrow passages buried under welch plugs that can be-devil you.
New carb- 2 bolts & a clamp- and a new gasket- and better than you can rebuild old parts.
Jim
snowblowerman wrote:

Some people forget to turn on the off switch. Some people forget to turn on the gas. You need gas and spark in the cylinder. Do you have it?