15 Yr Old Thomson's Water Seal Still Usable?

Hi and Happy Holidays,

I have a 5 gal can of Thomson's Water Seal that is at least

15 years old. Is it still usable or should I get a new can?

I would just replace it but getting rid of the stuff nowadays is such a pain in the neck.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Brown

If it is not thickened, it is still good. OTOH, it was not the best water sealer to start with.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's just petroleum wax dissolved in mineral spirits. If it hasn't gotten gummy, should be fine. Not that it's worth the effort to grease your decks.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

As they said the stuff is almost worthless when new. But it may be easier to dispose of by smearing on your deck than any other way.

Reply to
DK

Best way to get rid of it until he gets a better sealer, like Cabots.

Reply to
Willshak

as others have stated....... it was not the best water sealer to start with.

If thickened or lumpy....swirl the container & pour a small amount into a clear container...check consistency

if thickened it can be restored to "new" conditon by heating...use flameless heat source (heat gun)

better to use it up than create toxic waste

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

print out the message and its replies and put it at the curb for pickup.

Gary Brown wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

Or smear it on your dick...... Great sexual lubricant......

Reply to
ha-ha-ha

Yes it can be used, although Thompson's water seal is a below-average product.

Reply to
Phisherman

It wasn't usable when it was new. The poorest brand of waterseal on the market. Throw it away.

Reply to
Bob

Me and friends have used much thompsons, I believe it works GREAT! stopped all concrete detorioation around here.

the trouble is some people spray a mist on like cleaning a window, then wnder why it didnt help.

like painting a wall with too littkle paint then wondering why it doesnt look good:(

Reply to
hallerb

Find someone, somewhere to take it off your hands. I put that crap on my deck 18 years ago failing to realize that the wood would still require frequent cleaning to maintain the 'real' wood look (yea, I know - not very real). I decided to stain it with Cabot's Barn Red semi-solid )or semi-transparent) stain after the fourth year. To this day, what little of that stain remains on the wood will rub off on your clothing with the slightest touch. Now that I have g.kids they are all over that deck too. Run away from that crud! I've been told that the wood will never take any stain again because of it. If anyone else knows of a cure for this

**please** let me know via the UN or my e-mail. This is one topic that really jacks me up, if you couldn't tell.
Reply to
C & E

replying to Gary Brown, Rick wrote: No, ship it to me please.

Reply to
Rick

Just answer the question do not advertise another product!!!

Reply to
Jebbotts

Should be ok as long as you can make sure it is not separated chemically. I’d shake it up and do a test apply on a scrap piece of wood,let it dry and water test

Reply to
ricks300sd@gmail.com