Subject Author Posted Replies

How to pour a footer for block wall
I want to make a block wall that is of various heights. This will be an undulating wall covered with stucco, a southwest type with wrought iron, wood railing, and pipe inserts. When making a footer,...
16
16

need to remove old paint
I have some kitchen cabinets that has paint on the ends where someone painted th wall. How can i get it off without hurting the cabinet ?
10
10

white-white 240 volts?????
I'm redoing the utility room in our 40 year old house, and I stupidly removed the socket from the box to put in a GFCI without marking the original wires. Stupidly because there has been some previous...
5
5

A Mystery Whine...solved
Heard a loud, mysterious whine in the bathroom next to my home office. Audible in the basement, too, loudest under the bathroom. One by one, turned off each of my 32 breakers. The whine disappeared...
1
1

Toshiba Flat Screen TV
I have a Toshiba flat screen TV which belonged to my late mother-in-law. It is only just over a year old (LCD I believe). Tonight the volume just quit on me - all channels. Any ideas, suggestions?
11
11

OT: More regs - OSHA fines USPS
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has fined the United States Postal Service $357,000 for, among other things, "violations include workers using bar-code readers and elevator-control...
8
8

Are BOX fans dangerous????
I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info regarding this??
102
102

Sticky floor - sand or solvent?
Spouse has very nicely removed the ugly linoleum-type tiles from the samll powder room's floor. Now the wood shows, but is a bit sticky. Before we finish the floor, should we just sand, or is it...
10
10

More on furniture refinishing? ? ?
Thanks to all who gave me advice on oil vs. water finishing coat. I've decided on oil. But there's another problem. When I sanded the table top, the wood turned out to be not mahogany but something...
9
9

Good pergola wood
I want to get some 4 x 12 beams for a pergola. I have four, IIRC, down in Vegas, about 12 to 16 feet long, square on the ends. They are about ten to twenty years old, and straight as day one. Are they...
4
4

Pop rivets
I'm constructing a garbage (shopping) bag holder/dispenser consisting of about 28 inches of 7 inch metal duct pipe, a cap (also duct and this is actually on the bottom), a webbing strap to attach it...
8
8

OT Cell phone voice recognition
I would post this to a cell phone Usenet group, but I don't know of an active one. If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate the name of the newsgroup. My cell phone has a feature that you can speak...
13
13

Garage Floor epoxy recommendations
The house we're trying to buy (a Short Sale) has a plain, gray, concrete floor. My plan is to first pressure wash it, then go over it with dilute Muratic acid, followed by a gentle flushing to remove...
13
13

temp control switch on a kenmore washer
I need to replace the temp control/temp selection switch on my old kenmore-the guy who sold it to me told me how to get the old one out but its been a few weeks and duhhh....I forgot. I've got the...

Automotive (tractor, really) cushioning/dampening foam???
JD 4440 tractor radiator workover... Original had high density roughly 3" wide by 1" thick foam on underside of hood across full width of radiator for cushion -- fell apart (it's only 30-yr old) and...
8
8