10 Tools every kid should master

Page 2 of 2
On 5/23/2013 3:55 AM, nestork wrote:

Exactly, magazines like that are a total waste of time for that reason.
It is like asking "what is the best flavor of ice cream?". Totally pointless and useless.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.
Sigh. Trust Ed to get it wrong. It's chocolate.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 07:13:56 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
Chocolate ice cream makes terrible root beer floats.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 23:31:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

But it makes an excellent Dr. Pepper Float.

Gag! What a disgusting combination!
notbob wrote:

If, by "MI," you mean "Mechanics Illustrated," that magazine - through various name changes - ceased publication in 2001. Mechanics Illustrated editorial content was merged with "This Old House" (according to Wikipedia).

Surprised they don't have an AK47 on the list it being the USA. Which is just advertising shite BTW.

Of course he's not thinking. If he were he'd have put an AR at the top of the list. An AK is just a nice-to-have tool.

Beat me to them..... :)

I'd remove circular saw and chain saw. It didn't include any screw drivers so those should be added. It also didn't include any form of wrench, so at teh very least it should have a crescent wrench. And I'd be included to take out ladder and include a set of socket wrenches and or open/closed end combo wrenches.
Overall I'd say the article was written by an idiot who perhaps got a BS in communication and knows little or nothing about really using tools beyond assembling some IKEA furniture.

+1. Screwdrivers and wrenches take apart most things. That's the main thing for a kid, taking it apart. Add a hammer. Disagree about a crescent wrench. None of my kids ever saw one when they lived with me. Doesn't matter much though, since the kid himself decides what tools he'll master.
On Fri, 24 May 2013 11:08:46 -0500, Vic Smith

Years ago when my tool chest had a lot less tools in it, particularly wrenches, I used to use my crescent wrench all the time. As my experience grew along with my tool box inventory my crescent wrench usage dropped to almost zero. When I make up a tiny emergency kit I still put a crescent wrench in it though, it is pretty versatile... can be used as hammer too.

I worked as break down maintenance at a large company. They provided any tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I always carried a crescent wrench and channel lock pliers. It save a lot of walking and time as I might be working on anything. Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that each end held a reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of phillips and the other end was the regular screwdriver. Also the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the best tools, but if you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of weight.
My experiences as a locksmith, are much the same. I used to carry a metal tackle box which weighed probably 50 pounds. I realized I only used a few tools consistently. I bought a Walmart tackle box for a few hand tools. That has served very well. It slowly grows in weight, as I discover need for other tools, screws, flat washers, etc. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I worked as break down maintenance at a large company. They provided any tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I always carried a crescent wrench and channel lock pliers. It save a lot of walking and time as I might be working on anything. Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that each end held a reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of phillips and the other end was the regular screwdriver. Also the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the best tools, but if you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of weight.
On 5/22/13 5:23 PM, HeyBub wrote:

<http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/skills/10-tools-every-kid-should-learn-to-use?click=pp#slide-1

Pencil and paper.

Absolutely correct. Including mastery of the three R's, common sense & good judgment.
Knowing a bunch of useful knots is also nice! :)
Erik