10 Tools every kid should master

Beat me to them..... :)

Reply to
DD_BobK

When my kids got their drivers licenses one of the things we did in the first couple weeks was learn to change a tire - I supervised and they did it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Ashton Crusher wrote in news:pg7up8l7jvocb1faq4hdqr63mh3ih1afu9@

4ax.com:

I made sure my kids knew how to change a tire as soon as they were strong enough to do it, probably somewhere around age 12.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Sigh. Trust Ed to get it wrong. It's chocolate.

Exactly. Everyone knows it is vanilla so asking is silly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If, by "MI," you mean "Mechanics Illustrated," that magazine - through various name changes - ceased publication in 2001. Mechanics Illustrated editorial content was merged with "This Old House" (according to Wikipedia).

Reply to
HeyBub

I mentioned the same thing to my current squeeze. Her reply was along the same lines as: "I have a membership in AAA to change a tire. It's exactly the same reasoning a I would use in paying a dentist to pull a tooth instead of doing it myself."

Reply to
HeyBub

+1. Screwdrivers and wrenches take apart most things. That's the main thing for a kid, taking it apart. Add a hammer. Disagree about a crescent wrench. None of my kids ever saw one when they lived with me. Doesn't matter much though, since the kid himself decides what tools he'll master.
Reply to
Vic Smith

enough to do it,

Hey dad, can we get ice cream? Yeah, as soon as you change that tire!

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I don't exactly agree with her logic but there are some situations where it's better to call AAA. If you have an outside (traffic side) tire go flat and you are stuck on the freeway in heavy traffic, changing it yourself can get you killed. A friend of my Dad's got killed doing that.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Years ago when my tool chest had a lot less tools in it, particularly wrenches, I used to use my crescent wrench all the time. As my experience grew along with my tool box inventory my crescent wrench usage dropped to almost zero. When I make up a tiny emergency kit I still put a crescent wrench in it though, it is pretty versatile... can be used as hammer too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I worked as break down maintenance at a large company. They provided any tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I always carried a crescent wrench and channel lock pliers. It save a lot of walking and time as I might be working on anything. Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that each end held a reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of phillips and the other end was the regular screwdriver. Also the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the best tools, but if you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of weight.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I worked as break down maintenance at a large company. They provided any tool I wanted. In my tool pouch I always carried a crescent wrench and channel lock pliers. It save a lot of walking and time as I might be working on anything. Also was one of the screw drivers that had a hex shaft that each end held a reversiable bit . One end was two sizes of phillips and the other end was the regular screwdriver. Also the shaft made a good nut driver. Not the best tools, but if you have to carry them around all day, it saves a lot of weight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amen, it saves a lot of phone calls at night later on.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Chocolate ice cream makes terrible root beer floats.

Reply to
krw

As seldom as tires go, these days, I can't fault the logic in that. I doubt that half the spares in the country are usable. I know at least one of mine isn't (rusted to the frame).

Reply to
krw

But it makes an excellent Dr. Pepper Float.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Gag! What a disgusting combination!

Reply to