1/2" round rod

It might sound silly to some,what is the clsest drill size I can use to make something like a linear bearing for half inch aluminum round rod

Reply to
Yurikas Xidis

How tight of fit? How much length of the rod needs to go into the bearing? Aluminum is soft. A regular 1/2" bit and sand/polish down the rod a touch with progressively 220, 350, 600, 1000 grit sand paper. The job or use of your project may determine the required/ degree of sanding/polishing that's appropriate.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You can pick these up at almost any hardware store.

----------------------------------------------------------- Get free backup service using Drop Box Access your files from your smartphone or tablet Bonus space provided using this link:

Limp Arbor

You didn't say what the bearing is made of. Only that the rod is al. This method works with metals like brass or bronze. I don't recommend aluminum-to-aluminum contact for bearings/shafts.

Drill with a regular 1/2" twist bit. Make sure it is sharp. Then ream with an oversize reamer, .505".

Use a drill press. Clamp everything down good (a cross-slide vise works well). Don't move the clamps or the quill between drilling and reaming.

You can get the drill bit at any big box store, but you probably need a fairly well stocked machine tool outlet for the reamer. I've seen them as low as $17 for the size you need.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner