where are the honey bees?

Oh, yeah. I forgot. I like ice cream, cake, icing, cookies, candy, but I don't really like honey. Too sweet and esp. too sticky.

But I'm sure you'll enjoy your project, so that's good.

If nothing goes wrong, I'll post how many cherries I get this year, and if it's low, I'll try to stay home when it flowers next year (18 days after the peak of the cherries at the DC Cherry Blossom Festival, and about 40 miles north of it) and do them all myself. It's a little tree, half within reach and the other half 2 or 3 feet higher.

Reply to
micky

I'll look around for some small artists.

Reply to
micky

Relax, Micky. Adults? Here in AHR? Are you feeding me straight lines again?

It was a homage to a former English professor of mine, James Dickey. Some will remember him as the author who penned "Deliverance" but he also wrote about how farmboys will put their organs of generation in anything they can:

The Sheep Boy

Farm boys wild to couple With anything with soft-wooded trees With mounds of earth. . . .

It's really a remarkable poem and 100% Dickey who was by all means larger than life. He wrote another interesting poem calling "Falling" based on an actual event. He had heard a stewardess had fallen out of a plane and wrote about what she might have been thinking on the long, long way down to her death (she undresses - which is a far more common reaction to hyper-stressful situations than people might think - a doctor friend says it's because when people have serious breathing troubles they feel that their clothes, particularly shirts, jackets, etc are too tight and keeping them from breathing - who knows for sure?)

I think that entomologists tag them with a little plastic numbered plaques and a dab of crazy glue. They might object to any award, though. (-:

Glad I could help. Be sure to let us know if it worked. I suspect from what I've read you'll still have cherries but not nearly as many as you might with a health population of bees. FWIW, I was outside working and I saw no shortage of big fat bumblebees working over the Roses of Charon. So it's not only the honeybees out there facilitating fruit tree sex. Soon, you too will be artificial inseminating cherries. Reminds me of an Ag Fair I once covered where this lovely young blonde that looked a lot like Tiger Wood's ex donned this super long plastic glove that looked like a clear opera glove, slicked it with goo and just rammed it right up a cow's rump. What was even more amazing was that the cow was so used to it, it didn't even twitch.

As for those poor honeybees - they get trucked all over the country, exposed to more and different threats than they ever would as a fixed colony. That's why I really suspect neonictinoids as the culprit. The EU ban will precede ours so if their colonies recover and ours are still in collapse we'll have our smoking gun.

Be thankful bee medical research isn't done like human research. The dead bees are scooped up, blended into a puree and the centrifuged out to find out what should be there, what's not, etc.

"Grandpa just died and they're putting him in the NIH cement mixer to see what was wrong with him."

Reply to
Robert Green

Toulouse-Lautrec has been dead for a long time. Good luck.

Reply to
rbowman

Insecticide killing honey bees? DDN Correspondent Posted on 10 May, 2014 at 10:34:AM Honey bees are dying en masse due to exposure to a certain class of insecticide, claims a recent study.

The phenomenon of en masse death of honey bees is called Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) and it is responsible for mass decline of the population o the bee in the last five-six years, claimed the study.

The report was published today in the Bulletin of Insectology and it recreated a 2012 study which first linked the bee-killing disease with neonicotinoids. The same team of researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health who was involved in the 2012 study did this study too.

According to lead author Chensheng (Alex) Lu, "We demonstrated again in this study that neonicotinoids are highly likely to be responsible for triggering CCD in honey bee hives that were healthy prior to the arrival of winter."

At least 18 bee colonies in three different locations in central Massachusetts were examined by the researchers. For the study, the researchers split each colony into three groups - one treated with a neonicotinoid called imidacloprid, one with a neonicotinoid called clothianidin, and one left in pristine condition to serve as a control group.

The study put to rest the speculation that honey bees were dying due to parasites.

"When CCD first emerged in honeybee colonies in the mid 2000s, N. ceranae was put forward as a possible cause. Subsequent research in Europe, however, has suggested N. ceranae was widespread in many areas before CCD and is not associated with the phenomenon. Although other studies have suggested that pesticides, particularly neonicotinoids, cause bees to become more susceptible to mites or other parasites that then kill off the bees, today's study found that bees in the CCD hives had the same levels of parasite infestation as the control colonies," said a researcher.

Sherlock.Homes

I've already posted in this thread, last Monday (May 5), that the reason was neo-nicotinoids. Seeds coated with the stuff planted by farmers.

Reply to
HomeGuy

But it's not just honeybees that are in trouble. Many wild pollinators-thousands of species of bees and butterflies and moths-are also threatened. Their decline would affect not only our food supply, but our landscapes, too. Most honeybees live in commercially managed agricultural colonies; wild pollinators are caretakers of our everyday surroundings.

"Almost 90 percent of the world's flowering species require insects or other animals for pollination," said ecologist Laura Burkle of Montana State University. "That's a lot of plants that need these adorable creatures for reproduction. And if we don't have those plants, we have a pretty impoverished world."

Compared to honeybees, wild pollinators are not well studied, and their condition has received relatively little public attention. Most people don' t realize that there are thousands of bee species in the United States. Even many butterflies are overlooked, with the plight of just a few species, particularly monarchs, widely recognized.

'Species that used to be in all our yards are dropping out.' Wild bees and butterflies are out on the landscape, making them difficult to count, and a lack of historical baselines makes it challenging to detect long-term trends. Slowly but surely, though, results from field studies and anecdotal reports from experts are piling up. They don't paint a pretty picture. Many pollinator populations seem to be dwindling.

According to a recent survey organized by the Xerces Society, an invertebrate conservation group, nearly one-third of North American bumblebee species are declining. Other studies have reported similar trends, documenting dramatic declines in once-common species such as the American bumblebee. If that's happening to bumblebees, says Xerces Society executive director Scott Black, it's quite possible, even likely, that others are hurting, too.

"There's very little information status on most of the bees other than bumblebees, but if you look at the life histories of these groups, many are likely even more sensitive to the disturbances leading to the declines, such as pesticides and habitat loss," Black said. "Although we don't know what's going on with all bees, I think we could be seeing real problems."

Among other pollinators, iconic monarch butterfly declines are well documented: Their numbers are now at a small fraction of historical levels. And entomologist Art Shapiro of the University of California, Davis spent most of the last four decades counting butterflies across central California, and found declines in every region. These declines don't just involve butterflies that require very specific habitats or food sources, and might be expected to be fragile, but so-called generalist species thought to be highly adaptable. Many other entomologists have told Black the same thing.

"Species that used to be in all our yards are dropping out, but nobody's monitoring them," Black said.

Reply to
Sherlock.Homes