Watering Time

Watering in the morning? Watering in the evening? Does it even matter?

It does matter. Water in the morning.
If you water in the hottest part of the day, much of your water will be lost to evaporation before it soaks into the soil. If you water in the evening, you will promote mildew, fungus and other diseases because your lawn and plants will remain damp overnight.
I agree. My time is set to water at 6am.
"| > Watering in the morning? Watering in the evening? Does it even matter? | | It does matter. Water in the morning. | | If you water in the hottest part of the day, much of your water will be lost | to evaporation before it soaks into the soil. If you water in the evening, | you will promote mildew, fungus and other diseases because your lawn and | plants will remain damp overnight.
galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote:

Anytime is better than no-time. Early morning before sun-up is best.
On 15 Jul 2004 21:49:38 -0700, galt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave) wrote:

Watering early in the morning. The water will have soaked down into the soil before the sun has a chance to evaporate it. Plus, if you water at night, mold/fungus has several hours to set in before the sun rises.
hth,
tom
***************** Check Us Out ***************** http://www.FindMeShelter.com Free Text Real Estate Ads! FSBO's and Agents Welcome.
Of course the problem is with a reasonable size lawn and many zones, it takes quite a while to water properly, not just a couple hours. I time it so that it ends by about 8AM, when it's still cool and little water will be lost to evaporation. If that means starting it at 2AM, I wouldn't worry about it.
IMO, the idea that watering overnight is bad is over rated. After all, it rains at night doesn't it? The biggest fungus and disease problems come from watering too frequently, like every day, which many people do. Do that at night and eventually you will have trouble. Best practice is to only water when it needs it, and then to put down about an inch. Given a choice, I would agree it's better not to leave it wet longer than necessary, so I wouldn't do it in the early evening, but if you need to start in the wee hours of the morning, it's not a problem.
I was told by a lawn care company not to water until about 11am. This will prevent over-watering (water + dew). Does this make sense???
-Bill

will
All the 'Garden Gurus' on TV in the Puget Sound area here say to water first thing in the morning (less evaporation they explain). I've never heard of the '11 am thing' from any of them.
I'm with Chet on this one. Don't water after 8:00 am, it just evaporates and doesn't sink in. Watering at 11:00 am is a waste of water.
--
Jim Sullivan
seattle, washington

Not unless you're trying to lower your soil temperature. It's damn near impossible to over-water turfgrass in the summer.
Water whenever your grass appears to need watering. However, if you have a sprinkler system, set it to water between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m -- better for the grass. Always water lightly before fertilizing and water afterwards to allow the fertilizer to not "burn" the grass (or apply fertilizer when rain chances are high and let nature do the work). Watering in the heat of the day simply wastes water (due to evaporation). In some parts of the country, watering in the evening may promote fungal growth to the grass. However, it's okay to water shrubbery and plants appearing to need water whenever possible.