Squirrels stealing apples

I have some small fruit trees. The apples look very good but squirrels are climbing up the trees to get them. Any ideas on preventing this? How do the large orchards cope with this problem?
Stubby wrote:

else you can do will keep them away.
--
Art

Art wrote:

Andy comments I have the same problem with both squirrels and rabbits going into my garden. I use a high powered pellet rifle, followed by 400F for one hour.
Philosophically, I consider my vegetable garden as "bait".....
After all, one needs meat to go with the veggies....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Large orchards = more apples than squirrels. One always needs to plant more than the local wildlife can eat. Ever see a crow looking at your garden and going "Caw, caw"? Caw is crow talk for "Half, half!!"
Red

I've got 2 pear trees that are loaded with pears. I'm also surrounded by squirrels. They get a lot of what I plant, but won't touch the pears.
Red

they can jump 8-10 feet up. i've had a bird feeder hanging from a metal clotheline pole, high enough that i can't reach it without a boathook kind of thing to get it down from the hanger for refill. it's been squirrelproof for a few years, but this summer for the first time some squirrel got to it, somehow, and now it's a daily raid.