Squirrels stealing apples

I have some small fruit trees. The apples look very good but squirrels are climbing up the trees to get them. Any ideas on preventing this? How do the large orchards cope with this problem?

Reply to
Stubby

That's what squirrels do. Either let them eat or shoot them. Nothing else you can do will keep them away.

Reply to
Art

Large orchards =3D more apples than squirrels. One always needs to plant more than the local wildlife can eat. Ever see a crow looking at your garden and going "Caw, caw"? Caw is crow talk for "Half, half!!"

Red

Reply to
Red

I've got 2 pear trees that are loaded with pears. I'm also surrounded by squirrels. They get a lot of what I plant, but won't touch the pears.

Red

Reply to
Red

Andy comments I have the same problem with both squirrels and rabbits going into my garden. I use a high powered pellet rifle, followed by 400F for one hour.

Philosophically, I consider my vegetable garden as "bait".....

After all, one needs meat to go with the veggies....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

they can jump 8-10 feet up. i've had a bird feeder hanging from a metal clotheline pole, high enough that i can't reach it without a boathook kind of thing to get it down from the hanger for refill. it's been squirrelproof for a few years, but this summer for the first time some squirrel got to it, somehow, and now it's a daily raid.