Sprinkler Contoll Question

I'm trying to figure out how a sprinkler system works that I've recently inherited maintenance of...
I have a sprinkler control that is attached directly to the sprinkler valve that is buried in the ground in a valve box. (most of the sprinkler systems I've used in the past have a central control that runs control wires to the individual valves ) This one is a ( rainbird I think... but I didn't see any similar designs on their website ) single zone controller that looks like you can set up 6 different programs. It is attached directly to the valve that it controls. There is a LCD display that gives status information.
In the system that I have, there are two zones and two of these controllers. One works... the LCD display shows data and I can switch it to 'manual on' and it activates the valve for 10 minutes. The other one does not work.. the display is dead and switching to Manual mode does not do anything. I can turn the valve bypass knob and get the watter flowing and spraying... the mechanical part seems to work... its' the electrical part that is dead...
So... my general question is... do you think that this is a battery operated controller and the battery is dead or does power have to be coming to the controller from an outside source ( I don't see any extra wires... but the hole is dirty and dark... )? I'm not sure if a few D-Cell batteries or a 9volt battery would be enough to run the valve or if there is a outside power source that I'm not seeing...
Is anyone familiar with this kind of controller? These controllers are in the same valve box... If they have to run power to these... why not put the controller somewhere else and run the control lines to the valves instead of separate controllers?
Thanks - jack
--
D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.
I am not familiar with that type of system, but I can tell you that the valves are NOT run on batteries. They usually require 24 volts. Yes, the controller itself could be powered by a battery, but that is not likely.
Your setup as you have described it is really weird.
Good luck !!
--James--
On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:17:25 -0400, Jim wrote:

Well... it is a "Nelson" controller ( I've never heard of them before ) and not a RainBird controller. It is battery operated. Here is a link to a picture if anyone wants to see what it looks like.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Custom/tscatlist.asp?PIDB
Suposedly, the battery should last for 10 years... but I don't think that it's that old. I guess for an application where you don't have readily available power, this is ok....
jack
--
D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.
L R Nelson has been a solid and somewhat known manufacturer of turf equipment for many years. Google on LRNelson, and when you get to their web site, go to the 'landscape and turf". From there you can click on the model you have and then download the instructions. They have the part number for the replacement battery, but may also be available at a local Batteries Plus store, or Radio Shack, etc..
This will also tell you how to program the valve, etc..
DP

Yes, there are battery operated controllers. They usually work on a 9 volt battery. I would say that one of your batteries is dead, and therefore no display. On the Rainbird web site, they show several models of this type of valve controller. The have owner's manuals available to download. If you have any model numbers, etc. do a search at the web site. If you search for Easy Rain controllers, you will find two current models of single valve battery controllers. You may have a discontinued model, but the manuals are usually available.
DP