remove mandrel shaft?

I have a 42" Craftsman (917.258523) riding mower and have decided to change out the mower deck and mandrel shafts. The shaft's star keyway for the blades have worn flat. The probelm: I can't get the nut off of the top of the shaft, the shaft spins freely in the housing and I can't hold the pulley tight enough to get the nut lose.

Any suggestions...

Reply to
jasco

impact. or wrap a strap wrench around the pulley. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Place whatever size wrench on the nut. Preferably, use the one with the longest handle. Hold the shaft with one hand and use a deadblow hammer on the wrench. Remember you must hit it quickly and with lots of force. Don't worry that it spins a little. This should do the trick. Another thing you might try is using is the impact wrench that you use with a hammer. it's inexpensive and sears used to sell them in 2/8 drive. They also have an attachments for different screw tips. like slotted and Phillips.

Jeb

Reply to
Jebediah Kornworthy