Rebel III Grass?

What is this stuff? Is it going to take over everything, or just all the flower beds? Does it grow fast, slow, or average? Will it only crowd out weeds in the lawn or will it take over other small plants like wildflowers? I have a difficult lawn with greatly varying conditions from nice rich soil next to the woods, and other patches of heavy clay.
Thanks, Tony
-
Try google(Rebel III). I noted there is now a Rebel IV.
Tony Miklos wrote:

Stubby wrote:

I googled it before posting and again today. I saw 1 short thread from this group, but most everything else was just selling the stuff, or had something to do with Star Wars! Not much info.
I'll add that I am in Eastern TN, about 1650' elevation sloped and facing almost directly south. (English mountain) I'm zone 6B most places, but I just noticed I'm zoned 7 according to the arborday.org hardiness zone.
Tony

-

It's turf type tall fescue.
Steveo wrote:

So does this mean it may be a problem growing into flower beds or choking out wildflowers?
Tony
-

No more so than any other turfgrass, it's not invasive like zoysia or bent.

Zoysia is invasive, but in a glacially slow kind of way.
I bet the spread rate is 6" a year, maybe. Not like bermuda, which will spread 2x or 3x as fast...
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:58:42 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

Has anyone tried any of the new Rhizomatous Tall Fescue cultivars now on the market. How do they compare to normal tall fesque?
dickm

It has a thinner blade and darker color for starters.
--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com /

But...tall fescue is MUCH less invasive than either of those, Kyle. So no worries if that was his concern, right?
--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com /

Absolutely correct. Fescue doesn't spread...

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I've been overseeding and patching with Tall Fescue for about 5 years. It seems to work very well. I don't have a problem with it invading the flower gardens. Also, it has remained green during the hot summers here in New England.
Kyle Boatright wrote:

I have to disagree on that one. The reference of the question is the new types of tall fescue that do have the capability to spread by rhizome. So, of course they are capable of expanding into flower beds, etc, because that is precisely what they were developed to do. The advantage is that now you have a TF that will fill in bar spots, as opposed to remaining a clump grass.
So, if the OP is concerned about grass spreading and likes tall fescue, he should just use one of the other turf types tall fescues, which won;t spread, and that;s like 98% of them.
Of course, a better question is what exactly is the OP trying to do? Is it full sun, shade, overseed, new lawn etc.

Tony Miklos wrote:

Tony,
I live in your area and have tried Rebel III and Southern Gold, both of which are cultivated for the hotter drier summer we have which tend to stress the heck tall fescues come late July and most of August. Of the two, I have had better luck with Southern Gold. It seems to survive drought and heat much better than Rebel III. I understand that there is a Rebel IV out now. I haven't tried that one yet so I can't speak to its virtues. You can find Southern Gold at your local Lowes. Neither of these grasses will spread. They only spread by overseeding.
John