Portable Home Generator Questions

Page 2 of 5
aemeijers wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

That is sort of what I do. I have 3 plastic cans that hold 5 gallons each. It usually takes about 2 gallons to mow the grass, so during the mowing season I use the gas out of one can and rotate to the next one. I also use some of that gas for other small engines such as the pressure washer and chain saws. I have a seperate 1 gallon can that I use for oil/gas mix but it is filled from the larger cans. When I go to fill an empty can, I put the Sta-bil in the empty can and go to the gas station. That mixes it up while it is being filled and some on the 3 mile trip back to the house. The gas is rotated very quick in the summer and not usually over 6 months old through the non mowing months.
Add pictures here
✖

I put Stabil in all my gas cans. I use the gas for the mowers and it seldom get over 5 months old. When you exercise the generator, you need to have some load on it. I use a portable heater for this purpose. You also need to let it run long enough to reach full operating temperature. After you shut it down, top off the fuel tank. don't forget to change the oil at least once a year.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Not only that but they dont make any money when they have no power.
+++++++++++
It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Gasoline at gas stations is a vital commodity in a disaster and no-power situation. It could even apply in certain "homeland security" (what a joke that is) situations, so they could spend homeland security funds to help gas station owners pay for the initial generator setups.
And, the states could even impose certain no-gouging and even-distribution laws that they could put into effect in a declared emergency. They could authorize, for example, that in declared emergency situations the gas stations could charge an additional $1.00 or so per gallon as an incentive for them to stay open at least until they run out of gas, and re-open when they get more gas if the emergency still exists and the power is still out. And, the emergency regs could limit the size of the fill-up per vehicle to 5 or 10 gallons each. That would help prevent all of the gas stations at the very epicenter of the disaster from selling out all of their gas to too few people. By limiting the size of the fill-up, people would be dispersed at to a wider geographic area and could refill their tanks when they are perhaps 100 miles further away from the disaster center.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 23, 8:38 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Its a no brainer all righty, stormins no brainer.
Add pictures here
✖
Jay-T wrote:

Wow! Rationing by fiat. Sounds like the Democrats health-care plan!
So, the gas station operator (doctor) says to himself: "I'm gonna go down to the station, through the ice/snow/flying debris, so I can put up with the maniacs, dispensing ten gallons to each and getting cussed and threatened in return, so I can make 5¢ per gallon profit?"
"Let me think..."
As an aside, it's unlikely the station will run out of fuel. Assuming the station has three 8,000 gallon storage tanks that start out full and each customer gets 20 gallons of gas, that's 1,200 customers that can get serviced. Assuming ten minutes each and five pumps, that works out to 66 hours of customer demand. If the cars can get to the station, it's likely that the tanker truck can get there too, so the station could be replinished long before the 60-odd hours expired.
Add pictures here
✖

Try doing the math again. Instead of the same 5 cents per gallon the station would ordinarily get, they would get an an additional $1.00 per gallon during the emergency in the plan I described. Three 8,000 gallon tanks equals 24,000 gallons times $1.00 per gallon extra equals $24,000 for going down there and keeping the station open with their emergency generator during the power outage. And it doesn't take 10 minutes per 10 gallon max fill-up. And, yes, the tankers can keep delivering to the gas stations so they do not need to run out of gas.
My point is simply that having 24,000 gallons of gas stored in each gas station's underground tanks that cannot be used by anyone during a natural disaster with a power outage, simply because the station doesn't have a portable generator, is silly. My plan would require all gas stations to have a backup generator, would pay part or all of the initial cost of the generator setup through emergency preparedness funds, and would enable gas stations during a declared emergency to charge more for gas during the emergency as an incentive to stay open but without overly gouging customers.
Add pictures here
✖

Require is a difficult thing.

Using government funds to benefit a specific group (gas station owners) is outragous.

The incentive is the same one as any business: profit and loss. No need to 'require'. No need to corrupt the public system by misspending tax dollars for a private business.
And, finally, if people were able (willing, and understood it is required) to be more prepared for emergencies things would go better. Instead people look to the government to hold their hands at the slightest provocation, and take little or no responsibility for what happens.
As we've been discussing, get a diesel generator, a 275 gallon fuel oil tank, keep the tank full, and don't worry about the gas stations. And don't worry about the neighbors--if they want to come over to watch TV, tell 'em to bring food for everyone, or just charge admission!
Add pictures here
✖
In Florida gas stations are required to have emergency generators!!!
Otherwise in a evacuation people will run out of gas get stranded and perhaps clog roads:( causing massive jams so others CANT get out:(
Really they should be REQUIRED nationwide.
Since we KNOW the terrorists WILL hit again!
any area may need evacuated and sadly our country is not prepared.......
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Of course we are prepared for "Man Caused Disasters". There are many lawyers available to defend the MCD suspects and the government has a large supply of prayer rugs, white robes, funny little knit hats and the latest version of The Koran,...the one with the explosives making instructions in the back. The present administration is quite prepared to take all MCD suspects into custody and give them the same rights and considerations as The American People they are sworn to maim and kill. What's the problem? The Obomination is on top of it.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

If one of the gas stations on a corner opens for business because the owner/operator had the foresight to get a stand-by generator, the others would be following shortly without the force of "require".
Add pictures here
✖
Again, I thank everyone for the various info and advice. One more clarification at this point....
I do have an oil tank that I use for heating, with K1 oil. It seems that someone one here said that you can burn k1 in a diesel, but that doesn't sound right to me.
Because of the limitations on storing gas, I am leaning toward a propane generator, but the diesel also sounds attractive...... it would be a strong choice if I could use the same k1 for my heat and generator.
Thanks
James
Add pictures here
✖

My understanding is K1 is kerosene. A good friend uses K1 in his oil burning furnace in a pinch
Add pictures here
✖

I have not researched it, but maybe there is some confusion in the K1 kerosene and the # 1 fuel oil. Both have been used for home heating over the years, but not sure if there is a differance in the two or not.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:16:45 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Kerosene has fewer lubricants (wax) than fuel oil. Fuel oil (residential) is basically standard diesel fuel that is not-road taxed. It runs diesel engines just fine.
Most users use a mix of kero and fuel oil... Kero has much less heat value than fuel oil, but for tanks that are outdoors there can be problems with straight fuel oil freezing. The mix prevents that.
Add pictures here
✖

The use of K1 would depend on the diesel engine. Some can burn K1 -kerosene- some cannot. Can you burn #2 heating oil in your heater?
Add pictures here
✖

You can use some heating oils in the generators. I think it is the home heating oil that has dye added to it so the trucks will not use the untaxed fuel. I usually get that back wards.
I don't recall how much you wanted to put in a system. There are some portable units that can cost a lot and some fixed units for the house that are not all that much more. You are going to spend about $ 2000 to $ 30000 for the fixed units for a 8 to 10 kw natural gas/propane units not counting the tanks and wiring. The portable units start around $ 500 to $ 1000 for the 5 kw gas units. I did see a Diesel portable unit for about $ 1400 rated at 5 kw.
Add pictures here
✖

road use. The red dye indicates it is untaxed. Undyed fuel is sold for road use in cars and trucks; blue dyed fuel is sold for marine use.
Add pictures here
✖
but of course, # 2 is not the same as #1, which is what I have.
James ---------------------------------------- In my area #2 heating oil IS #2 diesel. It's dyed red and is sold for off road use. The red dye indicates it is untaxed. Undyed fuel is sold for road use in cars and trucks; blue dyed fuel is sold for marine use.
Add pictures here
✖

can run on #1, as I already posted. I also asked if your heater could run on #2.
Add pictures here
✖