New Riding Mower Recommendations

I am in need of a new riding mower, I have about and acre of yard to mow and it is new build so it is still kinda rough. I was wondering what brand and size of mower to get that will last . I don't want to be buying a mower every other year. On the other not, I don't think I can afford something like a John Deere. I would possibly like to get one with bigger wheels because of the roughness. Another idea is to get a pull behing finishing mower and pull it behind my 4 wheeler. Does anyone use one of these with success ? Thanks, Iowa883

Reply to
Iowa883

I started out with the same attitude. After shopping and comparing I came to the conclusion that I couldn't afford to NOT buy the John Deere! It's been a great machine and it was worth the extra nickel I paid up front to avoid the disappointment of a lesser quality tractor. Do yourself a favor and buy a good one. It's a better investment in the long run.

Reply to
Winston Smith

YOu might as well get the Deere. They have some modles around $ 1500. They should outlast some of the other ones that cost around $ 800 or so by many years. Get one with the aoutmatic transmission. That way you run the blades at the full speed and just mash the foot feed for the speed you want to go.. If you do much backing up , it is just a maner of rocking your foot.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Don't buy a Sears. I did based on their promise to always have repair parts available. Well, mine has worked for about 17 years and I need a few parts, but they are "no longer available" on the sears.com parts site or in local distributors.

Reply to
Stubby

I'd say 17 years is a pretty good run. I don't know the answer, but how long do you expect parts to be available for a model that was discontinued over a decade ago? At 17 years, I wouldn't be surprised that parts are hard or impossible to find.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Your opinion doesn't count. If Sears had a written policy stating parts would be available forever, THAT counts. Why is 17 years so long? I know of many farm tactors in PA that are many times that, still runing and repairable.

Reply to
Stubby

Farm tractors last a long, long, time. Lawnmowers, even nice ones, don't. That's why farm tractors cost 10x what lawnmowers cost.

Did Sears have a written policy like you mention, or are you relying on what the salesperson told you 17 years ago? If they did have a parts guarantee and can't fulfil it, you might get a new mower out of 'em if you play nice. Sears can be a very customer friendly company if you find the right person and get them on your side. On the other hand...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

You can get to work in a Ford Escort or a Toyota Camery. None will get you home any faster. Your choice. My Craftsman lawn tractor is 13 years old, going strong. I have 1.3 acres of all grass, except a few trees. I figured the money I saved instead of buying the Deere tractor, I can buy another Craftsman when this conks out! Besides changing the plug, the belts once, you just can beat it.

Reply to
Stanley