new lawn problem

Five weeks ago I laid a lawn with Rolawn turves – some of which had suffered heating in the rolls – with the subsequent death of some rolls. After telling Rolawn they provided me with three replacement turves – which I used for patching two weeks after I initially laid the lawn. Due to this and the servicing of my lawnmower which took far longer than I imagined – the lawn became very long and went to seed. I cut the lawn back last Saturday – by just over a third – reducing the length from 8 inches to just under 6 – to find that many of the swards had gone spindly. Some areas have really thinned out.
Will I need to reseed these almost bald patches – or will the grass regenerate and grow thicker and spread across the bald patches.
I was also wondering if I have overwatered. Because of the presence of the new turf when I patched in the dead areas – I continued with the ‘new turf' regime of 20 minutes twice a day – to find that the area was very soft (though not flooded) when I cut the lawn back last Saturday.
I have since suspended watering the area – and intend watering for 20 minutes twice a week.
Could anyone advise me on the above.
Thanks,
Scott Whitehead
Add pictures here
βœ–
Scott Whitehead wrote:

What the hell are "turves"?
Add pictures here
βœ–
John P. Mullen wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com /
I had to look it up myself. I figured from what Scott said that they were rolls of sod. I found I hadn't really known what a turf was, and that it had a plural.
--
Willondon

Add pictures here
βœ–
John P. Mullen wrote:

They're like swards.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Plural for turf ie one turf - two turves
Add pictures here
βœ–
s_a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Scott Whitehead) wrote:

--