New food nutrition labels, your govt at work...

The FDA estimates the cost of the new food labeling requirements will be $2bil. Another unbelievable example of what big govt costs us all. The changes? Increase the font size of the calories. List the added sugar. And make the serving sizes larger. The overall effect? Meaningless, as few are paying any attention to them at all. Anyone who does, the info you need is already there. Americans will still be fat, it's just another $2bil down a rat hole.

Reply to
trader4

I do some consulting on government regulations regarding chemicals. I am familiar with an incident where a one word change on a label cost one company $75,000 in labeling and paperwork changes.

Country is being buried in needless regulations and attendant paperwork.

Now at tax time I'm reminded that more manpower goes into tax filing than the entire US automobile industry.

Reply to
Frank

I felt the same way when the law came down for restaurant chains to post calories. But now I'm glad they added this new info. Besides seeing the calorie count up front, it also gives a better idea of how much you food you actually get for similer sounding items. Like -- $5 and 500 calories for a "large" sandwich vs. $3 and 450 for "medium" sandwich.

How much of that $75K was your fee?

paperwork.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Probably less than $200. All I needed to do was change one word in a couple of places in a few MSDS's. Editing was simple and most time spent in putting in co. and public dB's. Most of the cost was in reprinting literature and new labels including those on rail cars and trucks. It was somebody in the clients company that gave me the dollar value for the whole company.

This was only one company making maybe 25% of US production and then there are distributors that would have to eat the cost of labeling their products. So maybe the one word change cost industry less than one million dollars.

The one word change had zero effect on improving the product's safety.

Reply to
Frank

dont-email.me...

calories. But now I'm glad they added this new info. Besides seeing the c alorie count up front, it also gives a better idea of how much you food you actually get for similer sounding items. Like -- $5 and 500 calories for a "large" sandwich vs. $3 and 450 for "medium" sandwich.

IDK of anyone who judges how much food they are getting for their dollar based on calories. On that basis, you'd eat Crisco or vegetable oil. And even if you do want to buy based on calories, it's already right there on the food label.

It doesn't matter who gets what portion of the cost. It's still a cost that gets passed on to consumers, many of them are already strugglin g in a weak economy. We have record people on food stamps, median family income down in the past 5 years, but the govt doesn't care and chooses now to force more unneeded and useless crap on manufacturers that consumers pay for.

An it's obvious it's not doing anything. We had less obese adults, less obese children when there were no nutrition labels on food at all. In fact, the obesity epidemic really escalated precisely when the govt got involved, scaring people away from fat and telling them to buy products that were low fat. Those low fat products were loaded with sugar and carbs, which in turn escalated the obesity problem.

Reply to
trader4