new driveway -- cracked already?

I had a contractor put in a new concrete driveway in last August (poured in 35 degree Celsius temperatures). By mid-September, it had developed a crack already about 6 feet long (and even a small triangle about 6" big had cracked as well.). The crack is right where I suggested an expansion joint should be put, but the contractor said that he wasn't going to put in one in that spot. We have a brutal expansive soil problem here called "Regina Gumbo".
This spring I noticed another crack on another section of the driveway about the same length.
1) Do I have a legitimate "beef" with this contractor? He told me that cracks are going to develop over time, but should they develop this soon?
2) Is there a complaint process I should go through?
3) should I seal the cracks up? If "Yes", with what?
Howie

Yes, as a business owner, if one of my customers is unhappy, I want them to call me. Even if I can't make them happy, I want to get the feedback so I can see if something is wrong with my service. Call them, explain the issue. I would also check your agreement. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 'crack clause' saying something like cracks will form, but unless the crack is large enough to fit a credit card in, it's not covered under warranty.
hth,
tom

**************** http://www.Intertainia.com *********************************** Our Latest site: http://www.MedicalJobList.com - Hospital Jobs Classifieds. *******************************************************************************
No way in this short of time if the base layer was prepared properly should any cracks develop.Over a few years cracking could develop not because of a bad install.Was rebar used to control the cracking and separation of the concrete?

They remove the old decrepit concrete, then added a base material (I think it's called base 32?). They added rebar into the concrete mix as well.
Can I expect him to rip it out and do it again? What should I do?

***
I (like a dummy) didn't get a written agreement... what can I do?

***

Now you ventured into the relm of a lawyer. First let me say, I am not a lawyer. With any purchase of services or products, there is always some form of implied warrenty. Do you have proof of sale/services?
But first call the contractor explain what happened and then take it from there. No need to go further if they are willing to correct the problem. I'm very nieve and believe in the good nature of people, but as another disclaimer, it never seems to work for me, I"m just too lazy to change my position. :-P
Keep us up to date on this, this is interesting.
hth,
tom

***************** Check Us Out ***************** http://www.FindMeShelter.com Free Text Real Estate Ads! FSBO's and Agents Welcome.

What exactly do you mean by a "crack" - are you speaking about something that you can barely see (which is to be expected in concrete) or something that is separated to some extent (1/4" or so)?

You might try alt.home.repair as well.
Peter H