Lawnmower Repair

I have a Honda walk behind mower. The pull cord broke at the end of last season. I replaced it with a similar cord at the same length. I wound the cord back up and reinstalled it onto the mower. Now the cord retracts when you pull it but not all of the way. About 12" of the cord hangs out of the housing. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks.

Either cut off the extra cord or remove the recoil mechanism, pull out about two feet of cord under spring tension and then wind it onto the spool. Failing this, take it to the shop.
-- Tom

<chuckle> First time you did this huh ?