Lawn tractor transmission question

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with the hydrostatic (automatic) transmission and I am getting jerky forward starts and what seems to be a limited range of forward speeds. There's supposed to be a smooth flow from stopped to forward. I hit a root that killed the engine and bent a blade (my bad!!). I'm concerned that I may have damaged the transmission. Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
JB
False alarm! I discovered I needed to purge the transmission. All's well now.