Kohler 18 hp

I have a Kohler 18 hp, twin-cylinder engine on a Craftsman 44" mower. It started running rough yesterday--little power, very rough idle, black puffs of smoke out the muffler. Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks, Chris
Reference my previous post: along with the black smoke etc.,: it runs faster when I take the air filter cover off, but raw gas sprays out the carb. Chris
Chris Martin wrote:

float stuck?
Chris Martin wrote:

Too much gas causes the black smoke. It could be the float valves (if your model has them) are stuck open. In the old days we fixed that with a sharp wrap up the side of the carb with a rubber mallet. Less aggressive folk rebuild the carb using a kit from a repair shop.
Float or needle valve stuck. Float could have a hole in it so it doesn't float anymore.
From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley