Kohler 18 hp

I have a Kohler 18 hp, twin-cylinder engine on a Craftsman 44" mower. It started running rough yesterday--little power, very rough idle, black puffs of smoke out the muffler. Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it? Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris Martin

Reference my previous post: along with the black smoke etc.,: it runs faster when I take the air filter cover off, but raw gas sprays out the carb. Chris

Reply to
Chris Martin

float stuck?

Reply to
G Henslee

Too much gas causes the black smoke. It could be the float valves (if your model has them) are stuck open. In the old days we fixed that with a sharp wrap up the side of the carb with a rubber mallet. Less aggressive folk rebuild the carb using a kit from a repair shop.

Reply to
Stubby

Float or needle valve stuck. Float could have a hole in it so it doesn't float anymore.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Reply to
Mel M Kelly