Just backfilled a hillside

Created a new hillside. I have a nice layer of top soil and would like to plant a ground cover before the first frost. Located in upstate, western New York. Something low growing is fine. Low maintenance and would hold the soil together. Eastern exposure. What should I use? I was hoping to just use seed. But I understand we may need to transplant and seed. Area approx. 200 sq ft. approx. 7 ft drop.
Thanks, TP

Vetch. Crown vetch. Made for that kind of thing. Perfect for your area.

Beware, vetch is -very- invasive.