John Deere v. Cub Cadet

Thinking about one or the other. Any experience out there with the John Deere G110 versus the Cub Cadet SLT 1554? The Deere is available at Home Depot, the Cub at Lowes. I'm primarily interested in durability and reliability. I know the Deere has a fully welded frame (not sure about this Cub model). I think they both have Kohler v-twins. The Cub is significantly less expensive.

Thoughts?!

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry, forgot one other thing. I'd prefer to mulch over bag. Any experience with the mulching quality of either of these?

Thanks again!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

My JD 110 is about 30 years old - 8hp Kohler, and I use it to snowblow - does a good job with weights and chains - the mower deck is still in good shape (38" I think) and the variable 4 forward speeds is good for both mowing and blowing. I don't mulch or bag. I have broken a small piece out of the front of the fiberglass hood.

My Cadet 128 is also about 30 years old - 12hp Kohler and I use it to mow larger areas amd brush hog - and plow the garden with a moldboard plow. The mower deck is still in good shape (50") but I have burned up 2 belts brush hogging. Mice keep making nests in the motor shroud.

And btw, it's easier to get JD toys, hats & jackets here than it is to get Cub Cadet.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I think my 3 year old would like you, Sarge. Toys are definitely a focus!

Good to hear that either choice may be a good choice, although I doubt either is built to the quality that they were 30 years ago.

Reply to
Jeff

Deere is available at Home

Sorry they don't go together.... for that you have to try a different store. They are the bottom feeders of there equipment line

Reply to
op4_camper

Hi, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Cub and Deere models sold at Home Depot are the bottom feeders?

Reply to
Jeff

On 3/31/05 10:42 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, "Jeff" wrote:3/31/05 10:42 PM

IMHO, as for a Cub, you need to look at 3000 series machines for truly durable machines. I would also recommend using synthetic oils after the break in of about 10 hours of initial use.

I also use MotorKote in my Cub 3235, but this is just a suggestion that you may take for what it is worth.

Many others will say that synthetic oils are only marketing, but research it and decide for yourself if a few dollars more are worth protecting your investment.

Reply to
Ron B

Ron B You're digging it round, when it aughta Be SQUARE

the Deere that are sold at Home depot are Imported tractors made by IIRC MTD... if you want a DEERE tractor got to an Equipment dealer, and get a real deere tractor. probably more expensive... then compare that to a blue one like the boomer series from New Holland. the real question is, how big of a yard do you have? and what do you want to do with the tractor?

-- "People who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to" - Jerry Seinfeld "Education is the progressive discovery of our own Ignorance" - Will Durant "We are drowning in information, while starving for wisdom." - E.O. Wilson "the glass is not only half full the first half was delicious" --Me To Reply: Scrape off the end bits...

Reply to
Dennis

Nope - don't think the Deere's at Home Depot are made by MTD. I like blue also - but our New Holland bought from an "equipment dealer" was imported from Italy and since we used to own a Fiat I am not to thrilled about that.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Right now I'm looking at the 2500 series with the shaft drive, probably the

2544. The more I look at the brochure, the more little, subtle differences I see that make my head spin. For example, the 2544 has an 11 gauge 44 inch deck, the 2550 has a 12 gauge 50 inch deck, and the 2554 has an 11 gauge 54 inch deck. Unless it's a typo, I can't figure out why the deck on the 50 inch would be thinner gauge.

Do you think the 3000 series is comparable to the Deere LX280, which is probably my choice if I go with Deere. (I just don't think I need a shaft-drive deck which costs plenty extra, right?)

By the way, I agree with your comment about synthetic oil. I do it on my Ariens snow blower as well and my current rider, a little Honda 11 hp.

Reply to
Jeff

Don't know where you get your information from, but last year while shopping for a new lawn tractor I asked my Deere dealer that very question. His reply was that they are exactly the same machines, from the same assembly lines, etc. Even though his price was a couple of hundred dollars more than HD I bought from him and haven't regretted it. He delivered it free even though I live some forty miles away, and last September one of his mechanic showed up at my door to replace the two front spindles which apparently had a manufacturing defect (camber angle, I think it was). Upon the original delivery of the machine, his guy spent time with me going over the whole machine and it's operation and answering any questions that I had.

So, even though they are the same machines it's probably better to buy from the Deere dealer for the quality of service you get as compared to HD.

Ymmv.

Waldo

if you want a DEERE tractor got to an Equipment dealer,

Reply to
Waldo

I noticed this when I bought my LX266. The deck is considered a seperate item than the tractor, and so for whatever reason the 50 inch deck is made with 12 guage metal. The thickness of the metal used for the different decks do not always go up or down proportionally with the size of the tractor they are mated with. You have to remember that some decks can be used on several different tractors. Its sort of like a computer. The most expensive may actually have a less expensive part in it compared to the others, but the total package is what your getting. I wonder if you can buy the tractor and deck seperately? I've never heard of this but it seems like you should be able to.

differences

Reply to
CNB

I agree with that I bought a LT120 last year when I moved to a new house. It was about 3 weeks from the time I bought it and tehy delivered it tuil I decided to mow. I mowed about 100 feet and the mower quit. I cranked it up again and went about another 100 feet and it quit. after about 3 more times of that I gave up. Went by the dealer and he sent out a man to pick it up and they found the seat switch was defective and replaced the seat from another mower they had in stock. Then they brought it back to the house with no charge. Hard telling what the service policy would have been at HD which was about 25 miles away from the house. The JD shop was only about 7 miles away.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've had my JD LT150 for three years. I mow 1/2 an acre, lots of hillside, with it weekly. I bought it from the JD dealer. I've had excellent service and support. If it ever wears out (doubtful at this point) I will buy another Deere. It only cost an extra nickel to go first class and most of the time, it's worth it.

Reply to
Winston Smith

According to the Cub guy, the deck's aren't interchangeable. I doubt that degree will matter much, but it does make me stop and think. Just my over-analytical mind in over-drive causing me more angst than necessary!

Reply to
Jeff

I just done a little research on my own deck - the 42C. It's made of

12-guage metal. I can't imagine why anyone would need anything thicker than that for a yard, it's pretty thick. Not something you would put a dent in without considerable force. Let us know what you end up going with.
Reply to
CNB

Like you I was at one time considering the purchase of a Cub Cadet vs. John Deere. Originally, I was intrigued by the shaft drive system in the Cub Cadet. I live on 3 acres of rough, rocky ground with roots of large trees protruding out of the surface in certain areas. A friend mentioned that I might warp or bend a blade if I happened to hit any of this "immovable" stuff while mowing; whereas a belt would slip. It kinda made sense to me. I ended up buying the LX280. I've been please with it. I dropped the deck and bagger off the mower over the winter and used a trailer to haul wood, bags of dirt, rocks, etc.

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

John

Reply to
JB

Its not so that it dents. Its so that It wont flex or rust out as fast. You want a manufactured deck not a stamped deck. I believe john deere good deck is called the 7 iron Or something like that.

Reply to
op4_camper

Careful who you listen to - the mower deck is belt driven from a clutch pulley - only the rear end is shaft driven.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Hi all, well I finally made a decision and went with the Cub 2550. Shaft drive, cast iron hydro transmission, 50" deck. And the three bag collector was about $450, roughly half of what it would have cost for the bagger on the Deere LX280.

I appreciate all the feedback and input. Dealer will be delivering it next Saturday morning. Of course I'm now starting to shop around for some accessories (trailer, de-thatcher, aerator), but at least the big decision is over with!!

Reply to
Jeff