How to get rid of geese

The family of a friend has a tiny (2 1/2 small rooms) house on a river that feeds the Chesapeake Bay. They've had this for 40 years but starting last year, geese started hanging out there.
Now it is worse, with poop all over the grass and the steps.
Any way to get rid of geese?

A dog works well. Or shoot them. Unlike woodchuck, smoked goose is considered by yuppies (I was once a yuppy) to be a delicacy.
Eliminate their food source. Maybe an application of a broadleaf weed killer will work. Bonide makes a good one.
Cooking a goose is not recommended. We did this for Christmas about 10 years ago. Goose is *very* fatty and really cruds up the oven. Eating the fat will provide lots of energy if you are out working in the fields, but today that is not the case.
Chas Hurst wrote:

Chas Hurst wrote:

If they are Canadian Geese they are protected by the US Fish and Wildlife Service under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. They cannot be killed, hunted, possessed, purchased or exported. The only way to get rid of them is by discouragement. Remove their food source, nesting or eggs, or frighten them away. The IBM facility in Palisades NY, has a large pond and waterway that runs under the facility. They use imported Foxes and a pair of Swans to keep them away. Swans are very aggressive and territorial and will keep all fowl away, including other Swans.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Stubby wrote:

Well, good for you.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Taking the eggs is considered taking a baby goose and violates the treaty. Disturbing the nest so the eggs are abandoned by the parents also harms a baby goose.

The rangers in the g'ment parks around my way routinely shake goose eggs and place them back in the nest. It destroys the embryo. Removing the eggs is countered by the geese laying additional eggs. As a migratory bird, Canada gees are subject to hunting seasons specified by the federal g'ment .It is entirely legal to hunt and kill geese in season.

Someone told me, that if put stakes every several feet and string fishing line between them, the geese have a differcult time getting out and in the water. They can fly over it, but for somereasont they are wired to hang out at water they can flee to, or from, without flying.
Might want to look into this.
hth,
tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

I'm sending this to my friend as I send it back to you.
Definitely sounds worth trying.
To Chas, Sorry, shooting them and eating them are not options, and there are a lot of them. Not on their land which is tiny and only holds several, but if one is removed, there are more on the water or in the air to take his place.

Nothing to be sorry about Tom. Geese are now a fact of life for persons living near water. A few years back the geese discovered the vast lawns at the corporate HQs in Princeton, NJ. Squib, I believe was the first to use a dog to discourage geese from their grounds. The geese simply moved over to J&J, who then sicced the SPCA on Squib for cruelty to the geese. I havn't been over that way in decades, so I have no idea who eventual prevailed. I suspect it was the geese.
A coworker had this problem a few years ago at his cottage. He got some kind of stuff to spread on the lawn that tastes like grape, and apparently the geese detest the stuff. I will see if I can find out what it was. It seemed to work.

Carolyn wrote:

Grape Kool-Aid powder.

Thanks a lot to all of you. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I didn't even see five of the answers until tonight, and I just sent them to my friend tonight. I haven't found out how the prior suggestions worked, but I plan to, and to let you know.