How do I get rid of clover?

Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover. None of which are Four-Leaf.

Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).

So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?

Please and thank you.

Reply to
FireBrick

First off its not clover but probably black medick or perhaps oxalis. Both will be easily treated by a 2-4-D herbacide HOWEVER oxalis is a complete bitch to get rid of. Its because their leaves make a trough like structure that causes the control to run off easily. It can be taken care of, but requires multiple treatments. How much do you have in your lawn?

Reply to
Mike

Try "broad leaf weed killer" from any of the standard lawn companies.

FireBrick wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

How do you know what he says is clover is not clover?

Both

So, which is it? Easilyt treated or a bitch to get rid of?

It can be taken care of, but

Reply to
trader4

Clover is one of the more difficult plants to eliminate from lawns. Many of the broadleaf weedkillers are not very effective, especially the weed n feed type products.

Triclopyr works fairly well, though two applications will be necessary. It also helps to add one of the agents to the spray mix that makes it stick to the leaves. That's the problem with clover, the waxy leaf makes it hard for the herbicide to adhere.

Also, don't apply herbicides during periods of high heat and stress, as it's more likely to damage the grass.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks That's the info I needed. I think it's best to attack one weed at a time????? I'll go after the clover, (maybe not the correct name, but they sure look like shamrocks). It is VERY hot right now...high 90's so I will take your advice and wait till a less stressful time. I do water my lawns religiously though.

I do spread brand name weed&feed pre-emergents in spring, but these 3 leaf (clover) are tough little weeds.

Ireland can take them back!

Reply to
FireBrick

Yellow flowering signifies it is most likely not clover.

Reply to
Mike

That is not my experience. In fact many years ago clover was considered a good thing in lawns. After the broadleaf weed killers were introduced, all the clover in lawns got killed off.

Reply to
Stubby

That signifies that *one* of the *two* plants in question, isn't clover. Clover is still most likely the other weed.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Most weeds are, in a way, a good thing in lawns. Clover's a legume, it adds nitrogen to the soil. Most turf weeds are annuals, and break down at the end of the season, leaving behind more nutrients. Weeds are just an indicator that something is wrong with the soil. Treating the weeds is a bandaid. Fixing the soil problems is the cure. It's like setting out spring traps for moles, while the grubs eat your lawn from below.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

If it's as easy to kill clover as any broadleaf weed, then why do companies like Ortho market products specifically for clover, and other tough weeds, which contain triclopyr, as opposed to their regular broadleaf herbicide, like Weed B Gone?

Reply to
trader4

If the other weed is oxalis or similar, the triclopyr will kill it too.

Reply to
trader4

Weed-B-Gone Max kills clover, ground ivy, dandelion, plantain, and other broadleaf weeds, at least it did in my NY lawn. It has no affect on grassy weeds like crabgrass, neither did Weed-B-Gone for Crabgrass..

Reply to
Willshak

That's a silly argument. Ask Ortho.

Reply to
Stubby

Ooops sorry i misred it as clover like with yellow flowers. Is the other weed have a thick stock? I am thinking at this time of year it could be sow thistle. A picture would be 100x better!

Reply to
Mike

No its not silly actually. The physical nature of clover and clover like weeds make it hard to kill since the weed control tends to roll off the leaves.

Reply to
Mike

I use a little mild detergent, such as Woolite, to give the herbicide a little " bite" on hard to wet weeds.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Good to see someone else understands the point.

Reply to
trader4