How do I get rid of clover?

Part of my lawn is being taken over by clover. None of which are Four-Leaf.
Both the traditional 3 leaf and some other weed with small leaves and a tiny yellow flower (not dandelion, much smaller).
So first, what will kill off the clover but not harm the grass?
Please and thank you.

Future historians will be able to study at the Jimmy Carter Library, the

will be easily treated by a 2-4-D herbacide HOWEVER oxalis is a complete bitch to get rid of. Its because their leaves make a trough like structure that causes the control to run off easily. It can be taken care of, but requires multiple treatments. How much do you have in your lawn?
Mike wrote:

How do you know what he says is clover is not clover?
Both

So, which is it? Easilyt treated or a bitch to get rid of?
It can be taken care of, but

Mike said:

That signifies that *one* of the *two* plants in question, isn't clover. Clover is still most likely the other weed.
--
Eggs

Did Washington flash a quarter when asked for ID?

Is the other weed have a thick stock? I am thinking at this time of year it could be sow thistle. A picture would be 100x better!
Try "broad leaf weed killer" from any of the standard lawn companies.
FireBrick wrote:

Stubby wrote:

Clover is one of the more difficult plants to eliminate from lawns. Many of the broadleaf weedkillers are not very effective, especially the weed n feed type products.
Triclopyr works fairly well, though two applications will be necessary. It also helps to add one of the agents to the spray mix that makes it stick to the leaves. That's the problem with clover, the waxy leaf makes it hard for the herbicide to adhere.
Also, don't apply herbicides during periods of high heat and stress, as it's more likely to damage the grass.
Thanks That's the info I needed. I think it's best to attack one weed at a time????? I'll go after the clover, (maybe not the correct name, but they sure look like shamrocks). It is VERY hot right now...high 90's so I will take your advice and wait till a less stressful time. I do water my lawns religiously though.
I do spread brand name weed&feed pre-emergents in spring, but these 3 leaf (clover) are tough little weeds.
Ireland can take them back!

FireBrick wrote:

If the other weed is oxalis or similar, the triclopyr will kill it too.

That is not my experience. In fact many years ago clover was considered a good thing in lawns. After the broadleaf weed killers were introduced, all the clover in lawns got killed off.

Stubby said:

Most weeds are, in a way, a good thing in lawns. Clover's a legume, it adds nitrogen to the soil. Most turf weeds are annuals, and break down at the end of the season, leaving behind more nutrients. Weeds are just an indicator that something is wrong with the soil. Treating the weeds is a bandaid. Fixing the soil problems is the cure. It's like setting out spring traps for moles, while the grubs eat your lawn from below.
--
Eggs

-A jumper cable walks into a bar. The barman says "I'll serve you, but
Stubby wrote:

If it's as easy to kill clover as any broadleaf weed, then why do companies like Ortho market products specifically for clover, and other tough weeds, which contain triclopyr, as opposed to their regular broadleaf herbicide, like Weed B Gone?

Weed-B-Gone Max kills clover, ground ivy, dandelion, plantain, and other broadleaf weeds, at least it did in my NY lawn. It has no affect on grassy weeds like crabgrass, neither did Weed-B-Gone for Crabgrass..

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

weeds make it hard to kill since the weed control tends to roll off the leaves.

I use a little mild detergent, such as Woolite, to give the herbicide a little " bite" on hard to wet weeds.
Mike wrote:

Good to see someone else understands the point.