Help me figure out what this plant is!

We bought this plant at IKEA (of all places!) a little less than 5 years ago. We thought it would be a small houseplant that we would kill in just a matter of time. Needless to say, it has grown huge and we haven't killed it, but we have NO idea what it is. We've always kept it inside, but it is getting so big now, it will be up to our ceiling in just a matter of months and then what? HELP, any ideas??? Let me know if you think you need me to post a picture of a close up of anything. I just really want to know what the heck this is. Thanks!

CP_Redhead

We always referred to this as an Umbrella tree. I have in the past shortened them by air layering them, then replanting.

jacko

If it's the most common sort, S. actinophylla, it really wants to be a tree (up to 40 feet tall).

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Yeah, it has a long "stump" and is falling over b/c the "stump" can't support it. I don't think it can survive outdoors in the Seattle, WA area...

Reply to
CP_Redhead via HomeKB.com

Maybe if you could put it in a larger pot it might do better.... for a while.

Reply to
do_see

Maybe if you could put it in a larger pot it might do better.... for a while.

Reply to
do_see

If you air layer this plant , you can discard most of the bare trunk, then re-pot the new root system attached to the plant. The shorter trunk will now offer plenty of support. Google search offers a variety of sites which discuss air layering.

Reply to
jacko