dead spots in lawn

How can I get rid of some dead spots in my lawn caused by my dog using the area as her bathroom? I've tried to confine her to a certain area but during the winter months she has taken to doing her duty closer to the house and has killed the grass around my patio. Is cleaning out the area and replanting best and how can I keep her out?

Reply to
Don P

Female dog? Female dogs are known for high acidity in their urine. Tomato juice is suppose to help with that. Training your dog to pee somewhere else isnt' that hard.

The dog doo will burn also and clean> How can I get rid of some dead spots in my lawn caused by my dog using the

Reply to
DIE SPAMMER !!!

Yes it's a female and she is being trained to use an area where the grass doesn't grow anyway and is out of the way. The tomato juice, do we just mix it in the soil? will lime do the same as the juice? TIA

Reply to
Don P

Reply to
DIE SPAMMER !!!

we had dead spots in our lawn from washing the car and pouring the water from the bucket on the grass.forgot it had hard chemicals in it. i dug out the spots in the grass.i filled it with dog feces.i cut the grass and i rake the cut grass over the dog feces. i took 3 weeks and new grass filled in.it looked like new. my plants were failing.i dug em up,and i put dog feces in the hole.replanted the plants.all my plants are blooming perfect. only problem my two dogs broke their cable and ran away.

Reply to
Peacemaker 9001

WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

Reply to
Steveo

WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

Reply to
RoyDMercer

WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

Reply to
Steveo

WebTV-Mail-25021-4083

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Getting back to the OP's problem, it's very difficult to diagnose lawn problems without having soil samples tested, being able to physically examine the problem area, knowing when and under what conditions they occur, etc.

However, over watering and over fertilizing, especially in hot weather, will lead to disease and fungus problems. If you're putting fertilizer down in addition to having it professionally done, the lawn is getting way too much fertilizer. In NJ, I fertilize mine once in spring together with pre-emergent crabgrass control, then once in early Sept, then again in late Oct. These are cool season grasses and you want to encourage the most growth in the cooler temps. I believe it's better to skip giving the lawn extra nitrogen during the hot summer months as it can easily promote disease and fungus.

Regarding watering, it should be done deeply, 3/4 inch to an inch and only as often as necessary. Depending on temps and soil conditions, this could be from about every fourth day to once a week, assuming of course it hasn't rained. A lawn is far better of being allowed to go dormant from lack of water in hot weather than giving it a shallow watering every day. The watering should be timed so that it's finished in the early morning, like about 8AM. This avoids evaporation during the hottest times and allows it to dry out without being wet for a long period of time. You can tell if your lawn needs water by walking on it. When the grass does not snap back and you can see your tracks, it needs water.

I also agree with the advice to switch to the neighbors lawn service company. BTW, what does your service have to say about the problem? One key benefit to a lawn service is their experience over the years and also seeing other lawns that exhibit the same problem at the same time as yours. You should also see if there is a county agricultural service available. Here in NJ we have that and you can take a grass sample to them for advice.

Reply to
Chet Hayes