crab grass and thyme lawn

I'm started a thyme lawn from seem and there's lots of crabgrass to contend with. What is a good way of getting rid of the crabgrass (and won't harm the thyme)?
Thanks.
Crab grass has a extensive root system. I am guessing the best way would be to till the entire area and spend a few days pulling out the grass and roots. You might have to go over it a few times with the tiller and keep picking out the grass & roots.
Dave

You may also want to take a look at this link Brian http://www.highcountrygardens.com/articles/thyme.html