Clay soil LAWNS

We have a lovely lawn if we stay off it !,but the temptation to wal
bare foot is too great, and as we have have far to much rain of late and the fact that now the kids are off school the lawn is going t suffer. The problem is that the soil is far to clay in its make up and so eve airiation with a fork soon gets compressed into a water proof surface i have contemplated spreading sharp sand but at what volume eludes me i am told Limeing but only as a last resort, the grass is perfectl happy but i am not, so with that in mind any suggestions as to how t cure this and add good grainage before i rip the whole lot up and star again would be much apprieciated
-- terry macleod

Gypsum is sometimes called the "hoe for clay" or something to that effect. I bought a skip full of broken bags at the end of the year a few years ago - with some success.
terry macleod said:

Sand and clay will give you something of the consistency of concrete. Use a core aerifer and top dress with quality, fine compost. It may take several times, over the course of several months, but it will give the results you wish.
--

Eggs

The future ain't what it used to be.