brownish/weedy/thin section of lawn

Every year from the beginning (3rd year) there is a section of the lawn that is naturally brownish, weedy and thin with the other parts of the lawn respectable. Ironically, my "fantasy" of a perfect lawn exists right up against this "crappy" section....imagine this 3 acres of lawn: most = respectable; 1 section = crappy; 1 section = "perfect"...of course this "perfect" section is right up against the bad (weird).

Anyways....when I go to Lowes and come back with my fertilizer (gets expensive for 3 acres) after about a week the entire lawn looks great including the "crappy" section then about 6 weeks later I'm back to: good, bad, perfect and the cycle begins again. This cycle has lasted 3 years.

Question: How does a person make their lawn permanently "good" instead of going through the cycles of using fertilizer? I know it's possible somehow since I have that one really good section and most of my lawn is respectable without using any fertilizer.

Of course the answer might be: what the heck is the difference between that: "perfect" section compared to that "crappy" section!

Both sections in full sun, relatively flat and same seed...for that matter my whole yard is this situation.

My only thought (doesn't sound like fun) is to kill all the grass in the "crappy" section; till it up, shovel up some "top" soil (if that's what is), dump it by the railroad tracks :), and bring in some new top soil from somewhere that looks "good", finally reseed.

Reply to
dohc46

[...]

soil test! ???

pH very important.

fertilizer on a lawn or on any soil which has not been tested is not the wise and prudent approach.

get the soil tested. check with your county soil and water management agent. some provide free testing. take a sample from the crappy section and a different sample from the respectable section. compare the results from the two separate test. talk with your county soil and water agent. let him/her advise you.

to kill, till and BUY "top" soil is not a judicious decision without first having the testing done. let your county agent inform you as to how the samples should be collected.

Reply to
Jim Ledford

A, imo, very good article I have just finished reading. A good condensed (comparitively) source of organic care of your lawn. It states a good case for doing away with synthetic fertilisers and icides (pest/fung) and continually adding organic matter to your lawn. These kill or diminish the food web that exists in your soil, upset the natural balance and may encourage weeds and bugs. Killing worms can contribute to thatch build up in lawns and problems with drainage. Also it seems, a deep green lawn is not the best thing. A mid green lawn is healthier. Worth reading if you want to improve a moderate to crap lawn.

George.com