Barking dog next door

We have a dog next door that barks day and night. Owner won't do = anything about it.

I have heard there are devices that you can set up near the fence, and = when the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but = is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop = barking.

Anyone heard of such device?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

That's what dogs do. ;)

Are you inside the city limits? If so, and the dog barks at later hours (say, after 9pm), the local authorities can /maybe/ make them do something about it. That would depend on the local statutes. ;)

the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

Not that works long range. Most sound emitters are attached to the collar. I would think something on the fence line would cause more problems. Every time there's a loud noice, it may go off. Plus, other dogs in the neighborhood could hear it. How would that affect them? At a greater range, it probably wouldn't 'hurt their ears', but it may make /them/ start barking.

Your word-wrap is still borked. It appears non-existant, now. =/

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

Never built one myself:_ parabolic reflector_

's%20plans/dish/dish.htm

Reply to
Oren

the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

Most neighborhoods in the US have noise ordenances that police can use to fine dog owners for dogs that bark obnoxiously.

Otherwise, try one of these two items:

Ryan P.

the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

Google: "Super Outdoor Bark Free" Pole mounted, battery operated, adjustable frequency, 50' range.

Reply to
Red

the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

The dog had NO RIGHT to disturb your peace. If the authorities won't do anything I'd give him a lead pill.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford ililililil

when the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

That's nonsense. Dogs do not have rights and are not citizens. YOU have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of your property, however. See and attorney.

Reply to
Stubby

the dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

I have the same problem. I bought a boat air horn for about $20 and when he keeps barking for more than 15 minutes or so, I walk up to the fence, point it right at him, and give him a 2-3 second blast. That usually stops him. His owner is a real prick and won't do anything about it. He doesn't seem to mind me blasting his dog though.

Reply to
Art

I have a neighbor that has a barkng dog. It will stand at the fence and bark all day if I am out in the yard or garden. I thought about calling the cops BUT the owner is a State Trooper. SO now what.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly

Call his boss.

Reply to
Steveo

He's above the law because he's a Trooper? Call his superior. And if they retaliate you have grounds for harassment. Worked for me.

Reply to
do_see

Try a squirt bottle full of hot sauce. I have used plastic lemons with "Dave's Insanity" sauce.

Or, how about turning on the garden hose?

Reply to
Stubby

dog barks, it emits an audio signal that hurts their ears but is too high for humans to hear. The idea is to train the dog to stop barking.

You made me think of a possible solution. I have had an occasion to install a high frequency buzzer (3000hz) into a 6 foot x 4 inch PVC tube. Believe it or not if you insulate the butt end of the tube the sound will almost disappear completely unless you are in the path of the end of the tube. I believe the buzzer I had was 90db at a foot and required just .003 amps at 12volts. Sound at this high frequency requires a minimal amount of power, so you can leave it running continually without any real cost.

My suggestion for you is to find a 20000hz or more buzzer that you can't hear and mount it in a PVC tube of the appropriate size. Aim it and wait for the dog to commit suicide.

Reply to
tnom

Ultrasonic aids are available all over the place. They will work if you can put it close to the dog. Camouflage it so it isn't obvious.

As for all the hooey about notification of the authorities, fergeddabout it. I complained for months. Got a neighborhood arbitration face to face with the creep, and then at the end, he refused to sign the papers he had agreed to at the beginning of the meeting. We moved shortly after that. The dog is probably still barking. In some communities, you can get more done, but in some, they can't do dick.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks. I guess you can beat just dealing with it directly.

I heard that one reason dogs keep barking is that they think they are being rewarded for doing it -- the barkee comes out, the barker barks, the barkee leaves - hence the barker thinks his barking has scared the barkee away.

Another suggestion I heard was for the barkee to become the barker - like you are saying. Go straight over and stay there until the barker backs off -- just like he does.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

My mother-in-law buys me things at Big Lots that she thinks I need. One was this little blue box about half the size of a pack of cigs. It has a 9v. battery and a button. When you press the button, you don't hear anything, but the dog does. I use it when my dogs are being hard headed, and when I work and there's a dog that just won't STFU. It works on about half the dogs. Trick is distance. Not expensive, and maybe what you need. Point it through a slat or knothole, or hold it over the fence. When a dog gets something back that's unpleasant for barking, they will usually back off with continual training. That's how bark collars work. If not, there are a lot of anti-barking devices that you can mount on YOUR property that will give him a pretty good blast that no one else hears. They are spendier, but work when you're not there. And you can disguise them or just say it's a mosquito and moth repeller.

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

chicken parts soaked in anti-freeze

Reply to
DennisTheBald

Just shoot the t**tting thing, then Job done!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy days.

-- crustyshoveller

Reply to
crustyshoveller

ive also found that if u gag the **** and lock in a shed then u wil have a easier lif