Ants in the Lawn

I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard.
In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes.
I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large areas of Ant mounds.
I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent results with this.
But, what can I use outside????
I suspect the ant traps would just wash away with the spring rains.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe
I know I am going off topic but how did you guard them from comming inside the house?. Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Kaushal Mehta) wrote:

I don't do anything. The mounds are probably 60-75 feet from the house.
Joe wrote:

Diazinon granules sprinkled around the mound.

Thanks.

Be sure to water them in and look out for birds coming to feed. The diazinon will kill them.
Peter H

That's mostly from the birds eating the grubs that have eaten the diazinon. That's why it was outlawed from the golf courses, and before long retail too.
Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use is the main reason, they put organo's in any control product they could for a while.

It's more of a shame than people know. All that is left is the pyrethrins. Wham bam thank you mamm we're outa here. In theory it sounds great for the environment. When people have to get a new lawn every few years and repair termite damage every 5 or 6 years maybe the pendulem will swing the other way.

I doubt it will change. Things like that never seem to. I'm still stuck with a 1.6 gal toilet that can't even flush a 6yr old's turd.
:) > :) >Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past :) >soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use :) >is the main reason, they put organo's in any control :) >product they could for a while. :) It's more of a shame than people know. All that is left is the :) pyrethrins. Wham bam thank you mamm we're outa here. In theory it :) sounds great for the environment. When people have to get a new lawn :) every few years and repair termite damage every 5 or 6 years maybe the :) pendulem will swing the other way.
Go with the pyrethroids, or even the newer products that are out...the better grub control is an all season control and as far as termite the best product is 100% after 9 years of US forestry testing...only product since chlordane to go over 7 years, yet is 166 times less toxic than Frontline, what the vet puts on the pets for flea control.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
:)That's mostly from the birds eating the grubs that have :)eaten the diazinon. That's why it was outlawed from :)the golf courses, and before long retail too. :) :)Organophosphates are going to be a thing of the past :)soon for insect control. Damn shame too, over-use :)is the main reason, they put organo's in any control :)product they could for a while.
what the problem was that certain water fowl, that actually graze on the grass are susceptible to it...for them phasing it out, the way of the industry...something is found to be "friendlier" to the environment and the older stuff gets phased out. The organo's were more enviro friendly than the group they replaced, the chlorinates.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

They make ant bait stations designed for outside use.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/ants.htm

Thanks, I will look into it.
:)I live in northern Illinois and have an ant problem in my yard. :) :)In the past, I've had one ant colony (city, urban area?) that covers :)an area of about 2-3 square feet with dozens of individual holes. :) :)I have pretty much ignored this. But this year, I have two other large :)areas of Ant mounds. :) :)I use ant traps when I run across them in the house. I have excellent :)results with this. :) :)But, what can I use outside???? :) Most of the granulated ant baits will work ok for you, though they may be slow working. If you go the way of diazinon, or any insecticide granule, you will get almost immediate results by instead of sprinkling the granules about the mound, put 1/2 cup of the granules in an old gallon container, fill with water, mix, then saturate the mounds.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

He'd be better off using a liquid insecticide(EC) if that's his approach.
:) > :) :) > Most of the granulated ant baits will work ok for you, though they may :) > be slow working. If you go the way of diazinon, or any insecticide :) > granule, you will get almost immediate results by instead of :) > sprinkling the granules about the mound, put 1/2 cup of the granules :) > in an old gallon container, fill with water, mix, then saturate the :) > mounds. :) > :) He'd be better off using a liquid insecticide(EC) if that's his approach.
Eggg-zactly...but like to throw that out there, maybe someone out there lurking that may have those partial bags of granules (many of them out there) can find a use for them.
Lar
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!