1st cut for newly seeded lawn - what Mower Type?

Hi All,
Well, I am at that point where the first cut is required, and I don' want to pull up the grass shoots, so what mower type is needed? recall seeing a thread that detailed a rotary mower, but from my POV all mower types are rotary; whether the rotary motion is vertical o lateral is the key point.
Which one do I need then, the vertical axis mower or the lateral axi mower?
PLUS, I've noticed some of my neighbours have left their newly seede grass to grow up to 4 inches or more, but I though you should cut i before it reaches that height...... but they might know more tha me.......
thanking you....
-- tony w

Normally, people don't have a lot of choice in the matter, as they usually already have a mower. Any typical power rotary mower with a sharp blade will do fine.
How high to cut it depends on the type of grass. Generally, you don't need to let new grass get real high. You can cut it to about the same height as you normally would maintain the lawn.

---------------------------------------------------------------- Guess I'm not "normal" <chuckle> I let it grow 4 or more and cut it with a higher than normal mower deck the first time. Probly doesn't make much difference. As previously stated, a "sharp" blade would be desireable tho.
Sarge

What I meant was that normally people don't have a choice in the TYPE of mower they use, because they aren't going to go looking for a special one.
Probly doesn't make much

Yes, whether it's cut a 3 or 4 probably doesn't make a lot of difference. But it isn't advantageous to hold off too long either, because when you cut the grass, it removes a hormone that is generated at the leaf tips. That hormone helps regulate the growth of the plant and with it gone, it encourages the grass to grow faster and spread out.

What I meant was that normally people don't have a choice in the TYPE of mower they use, because they aren't going to go looking for a special one.
Probly doesn't make much

Yes, whether it's cut a 3 or 4 probably doesn't make a lot of difference. But it isn't advantageous to hold off too long either, because when you cut the grass, it removes a hormone that is generated at the leaf tips. That hormone helps regulate the growth of the plant and with it gone, it encourages the grass to grow faster and spread out. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- <not sure why the previous post isn't marked>
I'm at a disadvantage here Trader - I don't have a "nice" lawn. And I don't always mow it properly - sometimes I just run around quickly and hit high spots LOL. In the spring when grass is growing quickly and I wait till it dries up a little, sometimes there are spots 6" high. Where I am I don't care if it grows or not - therefore I can't kill it. Even running over it with a farm tractor with tire chains - or burning in a barrel - it grows right back. Wouldn't be that cooperative if it was in a place where I cared. <chuckle>
Sarge
What ever mower type you use the blade should be professionally sharpened. You want a clean quick cut not a ripping.
--
909090...J

tony w wrote:

The term rotary mower refers to one with a blade that cuts grass with the rotary action alone. It literally whacks the top of grass off. The other type I think you are referring to, is a reel mower where there is a scissors action between the reel and the bed-knife. A sharp and properly adjusted reel mower will give a better cut and is better for the grass. However they are not nearly as convenient.
--
Art

If using a rotary mower on new grass, have a freshly sharpened blade and run the mower at a lower speed. This will reduce damage to very small grass plants and prevent the mower from sucking up any soil and/or germinating seed from bare and loose spots between the areas of growth.

Thanks to All,
Great advice, now need to buy a mower.....
-- tony w