Yet another "Fair Price" question from a consumer

I suspect you guys get alot of questions about what a system would cost to install. I appreciate your patience and help with my question since I'm trying to resolve a dispute with my installer.
Here's the stats
Goodman GMS8 80% 70,000 BTU Furnace Centurion ACO 30 2.5 ton Air Conditioner
The furnace replaced an old Luxair, the only ductwork was in getting the new furnace to hook up to the existing ductwork in my basement. Low frills thermostat, the programmable timer is the only feature I needed. The central air is new, so they had to run 40 feet of stuff to connect the furnace to the cooling unit outside. I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin where we only have 3 weeks every year when you need A/C, but since it's a "selling feature" I figured I might as well do everything all at once.
Prior to the installation, the sales man said the whole project should cost about $3500. The final bill I got from this company is for $5000! (This is what's in dispute.)
I've found the exact same furnace online for between $550 and $700 and the Centurion as cheap as $400. Both new. I don't know what the wholesale price is or what mark up is, but I can't imagine that the labor for the one day the installer was here amounts to $4000. He was here a little less than 10 hours, if he's makin' $400 per hour, I clearly made the wrong career choice.
I suspect I'm up a creek on this one since I didn't get the salesman's $3500 estimate in writing. In fact the only documentation we have is a half-assed filled in sales slip that isn't even itemized. No dollar amounts for the hardware, no sales tax calculation... just a flat 5k.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this one.

Did you get kissed afterwards???

You should had everything in writing now you are screwed. Send copy of your bill to your state treasury dept.of taxation he may wind up paying state more then your total bill don't worry you would not be charge for tax but he will, for address look up on internet. Note collecting tax and not paying it state is very bad thing to do also collecting it but not showing it on bill shows that they are in swindling practice either treasury don't like that. Tony

well, depending upon what you signed for or didnt sign for will probably determine how much you will or will not be paying.
If the installing company could not produce a document with my signature agreeing I pay whatever bill they wanted to send me, I would thank them profusely for installing a new system in my home FOR FREE.
Were building permits pulled for the new ac or furnace replacement? Was all work performed to current building codes?
Does your State have a 3 day Right-to-Rescind law? Were you given that information when the deal was consumated?
Should you have to pay for the contractors stupidity?

Too too god damn funny. And please tell us all just how many times in your life have you been told, read or just know that you need to get a signed contract on any amount you arent willing to part with? Your fucked and your stupid. Life lesson learned. Hopefully you wont let this happen again. Buh Duh Bubba

Actually its vermin keeps pulling this crap that make it bad on the rest.
Obviously even your handshake isn't worth a flying fuck if you defend them.

them.
I used to do business on each others "word" for a long time.
But in todays world, I now use contracts to cover my ass!!

question
connect
but
everything
should
was
salesman's
dollar
rest.
Dude, seems a big problem in todays world....
Just because a fool and his money will soon depart don't mean it's okay to fucking downright steal it away from him.

getting
the
is
5k.
in
Yep, that's why I'm protecting myself.
There *used to be* honor, pride, commitment, etc in ones word.
Now it's every man for himself. It's a shame, but that's the facts. Doing business in today's world, one better cover themselves the best way they know how.
But one things for sure, don't count on the court system to make things correct either. They're just as corrupt as everything else. It's a roll of the dice around here.

would
basement.
A/C,
$700
the
He
have
get
wont
defend
Mostly all I can do from here is remind some folks from time to time.
That it's (still) not okay to steal....

"Jeffrey Lebowski" wrote:

oh spare me the bullshit.
stolen kisses are ok in anybody's book.

feature
for
what
flat
times
the
okay
Doing
of
Aww..shit...
And my apology to Bubba--his post just seemed like pretty good launching point for my diatribe was all.
Little doubt in my mind that in actuality, he's about as honest as the friggen sun--almost sickeningly so , sometimes even.
--
SVL

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:05:52 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

I wish you would have reminded the guy that broke out my back window and got all my Milwaukee battery tools, case, radio and assorted blades and bits. Basically about a $1000 and all on my dime. Sucks, learned a lesson and moved on. Now I have steel cages on all our truck windows. Bubba

Mark your tools: "Stolen from Bubba" That has to piss em off.
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:30:32 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

There have been snake oil elixers and their salesman from the beginning of time. Nothings changed. References and education helps. Bubba
On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:14:15 -0800, "Jeffrey Lebowski"

There will always be vermin in every profession but when you go looking for it by seeking out the lowest price you will usually find the Goodman and the vermin. Bubba

Thanks to everyone who chipped in an idea on what to do.
For those who pointed their finger and laughed, I honestly don't know what the point of that was.
Anyway, so far, I've had the best results in contacting the company that underwrote the "6 months no interest no payments" financing for this deal. It was only after they called this turkey who I made the mistake of trusting that the turkey agreed to sit down with me.
Wish me luck.

waste time trying to make friends with anyone.