Why are old boilers 60% efficient our 1976 boiler says 80%?????

The brochure of our 1976 boiler says it is 80% efficient (input vs output and D.O.E), which doesn't make sense since they say old boilers are only 60% efficient or less??

Don't believe "they", just because they are...."they". You know what I mean.
http://www.boilerspec.com/EmmisEffic/boiler_efficiency_facts.pdf
If that's too freaking much information;
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en ...and ask away.
-zero
With the NEW guideline from GAMA, AGA and UL the calculations come up with different numbers TODAY In the OLD days when gas was flowing like free beer there was no need to get tight with numbers, now days there is I hope this clears it all up for you. Now buy a frickin SHE boiler and get on with life.

daytona wrote:

SOOO in the past "they" were exagerating the efficiency but THIS TIME HONEST to GOD they are telling the truth!!!! Interesting.

They are comparing the AFUE, which is everything the boiler consumes. Gas/oil and electricity.
I knew a couple of old boilers who gained a lot of efficiency after they lost a couple hundred pounds.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
~^Johnny^~ wrote:

Hah.. In Indiana that would be a couple hundred pounds of lime...
Jake

Well, could Cal see 'em? If so, then that's down the tubes, man. But difficulty is on a sliding scale. I prescribe make-up treatment.